Monday, September 28, 2009

Wishes, More Wishes...and Musing Monday

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post, from Just One More Page, is about your wishlist…

Do you keep a book wishlist, either on paper, Amazon/etc, or via a book database site (Shelfari, GoodReads, LibraryThing)? If yes, do you share this list with others (especially coming up to Christmas)?


Been there, done that, on last week's Tuesday Thinger post. Not surprisingly, fan as I am of Library Thing, I have started to use the wishlist feature there. Now that I have been using it a couple of times and it is getting more familiar, there is a real possibility that I will continue to use it. The key is that, for me, Library Thing has become my one stop shop for most booking needs. Keeping track of my library, tagging and categorizing it, checking other's ratings and reviews of a book I am interested in, links to sites for purchase..and yes, now my wishlist as well. For all my book needs, Library Thing is the first place I go. (...and no, I do not work for them or own part of the company. I just want to share something of value with my dear readers.)

Now, as to the second half of the story, do I 'share' my list? Well, not much to share yet, because it is a tiny, two book list. A tiny list that anyone who goes to my LT page can see, but as to actively 'sharing' it, like a gift suggestion list I am not so sure.
Now, of course, if any of you your like to send me one of the two books on my wish list, maybe an old ARC hanging around, who am I to say no? That would be rude! But I don't know that I have ever sought out books as a gift. Isn't that strange? But I see book buying, book choosing, as a very private thing. I have, on occasion, given books as gifts, but with adults at least, I think it is a difficult, dangerous thing with a high possibility of failure. Do they own it already, is it the sort of book they would like?

Now, certainly, that problem would be solved if only one had an account on Library Thing and, most especially, a wishlist. If only..... ;-)


8 comments:

  1. You are just a living, breathing advertisement for LT. I need to join one of these groups, but haven't decided which one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to use LT for "all my book needs" too. I've had my books logged there for some time, and now I'm working on the wish lists and putting actual reviews there as well. I sent a friend request if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy....{{{{Library Thing...Library Thing...Library Thing...Library Thing...Library Thing...Library Thing...Library Thing...Library Thing...Library Thing...}}}} lol

    Trisha, thanks for the invite...done!

    I am lazy, I am easily distracted and having one place to go for a bunch of uses is perfect for me. And oddly, so many of my needs are book related.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before Librarything.... there was Amazon. For me, it's just easiest to keep my wishlist on Amazon since that's where I end up buying stuff. Plus amazon has a "universal wishlist button" that I put on my toolbar- and now no matter what site I'm on, I can click that button and it goes on to my wishlist for me to buy later.

    Still love LT though! But for me, it's just for books I already own :)

    (Also I haven't been blogging in forever, but it's good to see you/read you again!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bluestocking, no wishlist? Shocking!

    Kathleen, as I mentioned in last week's Library Thinger post, I tried using the Amazon Wishlist. But I found I often ended up buying the book while I was there...lol

    It is safer to keep the list on LT.
    And it is nice to see you back blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on LT, but I'm too lazy to put in my wishlist online. It's too long, I just like to write the ones I want in my little notebook.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!