Monday, September 14, 2009

Musing Monday. Why I Love Mysteries Is No Mystery


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post, from Just One More Page, is about reading trends…

Do you find yourself forming trends in your reading? Is this a conscious act, influenced by either your own interests or current publishing fads?

Do I find trends in my reading? Yes, I do and it is a conscious act. Now, if look at the reviews I have written on this blog, you will really be a bit misled about it, because I have read a lot of looks I might not have if left to my own devices. My last review, of The Strain, is a perfect example. Pre-blog, most likely I would never have bought that book. And look, I enjoyed it. Certain the memoirs I have read, for better or worse, would not have been in my line of sight. And look again...I would have missed Homer's Odyssey, which I also loved! Obviously, if left to my normal 'trend', I would have missed a lot. A huge benefit of blogging for me personally.

What is my 'norm'? Well, as I have mentioned before, I have a real weakness for mysteries and thrillers. As to trends, I think that mysteries are always a very popular genre in the publishing world. Certainly not a fad, not a cutting edge trend but a long and well established one. Now, within that genre, I like a wide variety. Police procedurals to cozies to serial killers, I like them all. Trenton to Reykjavik, I love a variety of locales, although I admit I also have a bit of a weakness for books set in cold locations..Alaska, northern Europe, snowy Canada...or by the water. Lakes, rivers, or ocean , especially ocean settings, start a warm glow in my cold, hard heart. Throw in a lighthouse, a cold wind blowing, a storm moving in and I am there! Series or standalones, my answer is yes!

So why mysteries? I like a book with a strong plot and mysteries tend to be plot heavy, and yet the best of them also have very good character development. Certainly a series that I stick with must have both. I also think mysteries, again, the best of them, allow the exploration of a lot of interesting, even controversial topics but within a reassuring, more comfortable framework. I also confess to liking the fact that most mysteries have a distinct moral sense. They are at their heart about good and evil, and usually, good wins out. I admit, that makes me happy.

Did I also mention that some waves lapping up on the shore, some boats or a lighthouse is a plus? Yes, I may have..lol


16 comments:

  1. So, wee Caite, did you read The BOdy in the Lighthouse by Katherine Hall Page? It's a cozy but it's near water and it obviously has a lighthouse. Might be something you would read. Anything by William Martin is a good bet as you did tell us you liked books set in New England. Back Bay, Cape Cod, The Lost Constitution are all good choices. The protagonist is an antique book seller. Some historical mixed with a little adventure and mystery. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just what I need, more books to check out! lol

    There will be a short pause now while I mosey out of here to google these books. Please amuse yourselves while I am gone....

    ReplyDelete
  3. double posting...ok, had to order a used copy of the Page book. I mean, there is a lighthouse on the cover and it is set in Maine!!
    but Mr. Martin...Booklist said about one of his books, "Readers looking for another 'Da Vinci Code' should find this a worthy successor." That SCARED me, because I not looking for any book, in any way, like The Da Vinci Code. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I started blogging, this was almost the ONLY genre I would read. I like mysteries for two main reasons. I like a good puzzle and I like to figure out the bad guy. I also am fascinated with personalities, especially demented ones. Maybe if I understand them better, I can spot the psycho killers amongst us! I love to be scared, but I am a tough sell in that arena. You've gotta be really good to scare me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caite...also try the Philip Craig mystery series set in Martha's Vineyard. Too bad he died this year, cause I was just getting really fond of his stuff.

    I've really expanded what I read since I started blogging, and joined some groups on LT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy, spotting a demented, psycho killer is a useful skill!

    Tina, thanks a lot, yeah, thanks a whole lot. ;-)
    oh my, he has written like 28 books, plus three unpublished when he died...{{so many books, so little time...}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, The Body In The Lighthouse sounds good! I love lighthouses and Maine,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've found myself reading out of my comfort zone too since I started blogging ... and it is a great way to broaden your horizons and discover things you didn't think you would like but you end up liking. I'm not opposed to mysteries but there is so much "dreck" ones out there that I find I need to pick carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mysteries and thriller too and have discovered new authors by reading book blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love mysteries. I'll read just about any genre, but will always come back to mysteries in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I will read almost anything, including the cereal box, I always love mysteries and have spells when I crave them above all else! I remain loyal to my favorite authors (and characters), but love finding a great new series to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. jenners, you are right. there is a fair but of 'dreak' in the mystery field but then there is in an genre. you just have to find the really good authors from our favorite blogs! ;-)

    yes, there is something comforting about books about death and murder for some strange reason...lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great answer - you've captured what I love about mysteries, too. Hmmmm ... lighthouses in mysteries. Have you read P.D. James' The Lighthouse?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I haven't!

    (...I will not check it on Amazon...I will not check it on Amazon...be right back! lol)

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!