Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Can You Have Too Much of a Good Thing? Yes, But Not Tuesday Thinger!

Let's see what we can find out about Library Thing this week! From Wendi's Book Corner...
Questions: Have you explored the Series feature of your Statistics? Were you surprised by how many series you have/haven't read? Were your series mostly complete, or did you find that you had only read one book from a lot of different series? What was the largest number of books in a series? Feel free to answer a few or all of these questions. :)

As usual, I did not explore this feature before. I am starting to prefer to wait for Wendi to point it out to me!

So, how many series have I read books from? 192! Hmm...again, that seems like a lot. I don't really like series, or dislike them. I don't seek them out or avoid them. So that number seems high. But I have issues with some of these series, as they are listed on Library Thing. For example, it lists the Dummies books, like Wine for Dummies, which I actually own, as part of a series. But it is not a series I am actually going to read all the books in. Chihuahuas for Dummies, for example, is not on my reading list. No offense meant to those odd little dogs.

Then there are books I had no idea were part of a series. Like The Winds In The Willows. Seems it is part of a series of 5...or 9. Mr. Toad all over the place, but I think I am a bit past my Toad days. Especially since Disney World got rid of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. As far as I am concerned, that is the end of my Toad-ness.

But as to 'real' series, well, I have noticed something.
I appear to have a series limit. If a series is 4 or 5 or even 6 books, there is a good chance I have read them all. But if the series is say..15, like the Stephine Plum series, then no, I have not. And doubt I will. I am not sure who to blame. Do I just get tired of the series, of the same characters, or at some point does the series just lose something?
I suspect the later. I think sometimes a series that is very popular and very successful (i.e. making a lot of money for the author and publisher) is continued on way past the time it should have been retired. I will not bring up my Patricia Cornwell rant again, but you get the idea.

Yes, I think that maybe at about 5 or 6 books authors should really be considering moving on to greener pastures. Or at least a different pasture. Trade the cows in for horses, so to speak.

Speaking of odd little dogs, as you all know, Tuesday is Bandit Day and Bandit loves Bandit Day, so let's see if we can find a new picture of the little fellow. Oh no, had to change the pic, 'cause that was a repeat. But here is a new one...


Bandit, the Blogger!

10 comments:

  1. I had books from 61 series, but I haven't read a lot of them. Bandit looks like he's working on his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like series that build over time (like the Harry Potter books, or Little House books). I'm not so crazy about books that take the same characters and put them in timeless situations (all I can think of are more kids books, like Nancy Drew ... those girls never had a birthday, despite years of adventures)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a link to your Patricia Cornwell rant ;o) I suspect we may share the same opinion, and I am curious to read your opinion.

    (Is there a series-feature in the statistics? How does that work? Well, never mind, I cannot even figure out how to read the normal statistics anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot Anne of Green Gables!

    LOL re the Dummies series. I have two of those:

    CS Lewis and Narnia for Dummies and Writing Copy for Dummies. Neither are listed on LT though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kathy, he is a very hard working dog, as you can see from the post on his blog about his cleaning the niece's desk. work, work, work...

    dawn, I agree that it helps if the characters grown and change. one thing I like about Tess Gerritsen's series for example. but even then, maybe there comes a time to end it and move on.

    Yes Louise, from your home page on LT, if you go to stats at the top and then look on the left, under Common Knowledge, you will see the series link. each book in a series will be listed, with the number in the series. If you then click on the series title, you can see the whole series, with the ones you own checked off.

    As to Patricia, I will have to look for that. I think I have had more than one, but generally, I wonder if someone else didn't start writing the books about 7 years ago or so. Either that or something went very wrong, because the books turned simply awful. Not just a bad plot, but very badly written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I ease myself back into the blogging world, I was so pleased to find one of your satisfyingly amusing Library Thing posts. I just so enjoy reading them, and this made me smile throughout. I totally agree with you on Ms. Plum and the Scarpetta books -- enough is enough with both of them.

    And the idea of the Dummies books being a series -- that one would read all of -- is just so silly.

    Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenners, it is great to have you back, and again, let me say that I am very sorry about your father but that was a wonderful post you wrote about him. I am sure he would have been proud.

    I am always happy that I can put on my silly hat and make you and any of my readers smile.

    Personally, I have considered the possibility that Ms. Cornwell was taken over by aliens from Saturn and everyone knows that Saturians can not write a good thriller! It is the only answer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. why isn't anyone commenting on how cute i am!!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bandit, that is a good question. Maybe your charm has worn off.

    I may need to consider another pet to take pictures of...hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Plum and Scarpetta series wore out very quickly for me. In fact, one Plum was all I wanted (the rest can remain in the icebox) and Cornwell wore out her welcome quickly, too. But Reginald Hill and Peter Robinson still fascinate!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!