Sunday, May 17, 2009

Why I like scary books...and other Musing Mondays


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post, from Just One More Page is about early reading…
Do you remember how you developed a love for reading? Was it from a particular person, or person(s)? Do you remember any books that you read, or were read to you, as a young child?


I think, most certainly, I have my mother to thanks for my love of reading. That and heredity. My father was not a reader, except for the newspaper, as far as I remember. But my mother..oh yes, she was a reader and all her family seem to have been readers. She bought books, always paperbacks as I remember, but her real source for reading material was the Newark NJ Public Library system.

I have written before about my very fond memories of the library and our local branch in particular. Some of my earliest memories are trotting off there, my mom holding wee caite’s hand and a tote bag of some sort in her other hand to carry home her loot. She would get a bunch at one time, maybe 8 or 10, assuming some would be duds, as she said. That would last her about a week or two. Obviously, she was a faster reader than I am. She didn't teach me that part...

And I have written about climbing upstairs to the 2nd floor of that branch of the library, where the children’s section was, happily amusing myself, looking around, choosing a few to check out, until my mother was done downstairs. And oh, the very special day when I was old enough to get my very own library card…

I don’t remember learning to read, per se, and certainly never having to be encouraged to read. I just did. There were books around, everyone I knew read. I just never understood why people, my fellow students, co-workers, would say they didn't like to read. Really, some people don't like it? What did I read? Well, I am not sure. I seem to have missed reading most of the typical kids books, the children series and such. But I was always reading something!

Did I learn by my mother reading to me? I am not sure, but I think I could read, certainly before I went to kindergarten. I do remember my mother reading to me, usually at bedtime. I am sure she read me any number of books, but I clearly remember on particular book, a book of rather scary fairy tales that was my favorite. It had a bluish grey cloth cover as I remember…I wonder if that is true…and it was illustrated. My favorite story, that I would have he read me over and over was the Tale of The Headless Horseman. Maybe that is why I still count Dean Koontz as one of my favorite writers.




13 comments:

  1. I love scary stories, too! :) Great memories. I can't imagine a life without reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here...my dad was a non-reader, but my mom was insatiable. She read alot of Dr. Seuss and such to me as a kid, but once I could read, I took off. Started out with the Nancy Drew, and ultimately ended up stealing "Whispers" by Dean Koontz off my mom's shelf. Holy cow did that one freak me out. It has everything to do with why I hate cock roaches for sure! I proceeded onto Stephen King. So I am a scary book fan as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i so want my kids to feel that way about the library. like it is a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww "wee caite" at the library :)

    I can understand what you mean about not understanding how others could NOT love reading, but for me it was even stranger as I didn't have a reading family either. I remember being so excited when I got to school and met the librarian - someone who actually WANTS to talk to me about books? wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I never understood why people didn't like to read either. I used to wait for exams to get over, to hit the library or a bookshop, and buy myself a little post-exam treat, whereas most of my friends would while away their time watching bad (and by 'bad', I actually mean 'BAD') tv!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad read to me every night and my mum also loved reading. I just can't understand people who don't read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In this age of technology, I think "going to the Library" is now a well used excuse to go out. But I feel otherwise. And too bad for this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I concur... I'm always surprised when people say that they don't really like to read and I always think, "What's Not to Like?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope that all this techo stuff does not cause people to loose the love of the library...or actual books for that matter!

    But then my niece, who just turned 21, was so excited the other day to get a county library card. all hope is not lost!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I credit my mother for my loving of reading too. The funny thing is, I didn't really know that I was a "reader" until I married a non-reader. I just assumed everyone read, since everyone in my family did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. bermudaonion...that is so true! I never really realized until I was an adult that there were people who simply did not read. They read nothing!!
    I still find it hard to believe...I will read anything on hand in a pinch..sides of boxes...a discarded instruction manual...anything...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mom used to read to us often, but my dad is the one who helped me out and got me reading.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!