Friday, May 29, 2009

The Great Alaska Adventure Is On!!

Well, hello folks...coming to you from the Southeast of Alaska this morning.

We are just on our way into Glacier Bay as I type this, reaching the first glacier we will see today in a couple of hours. Sadly, I can not post any pictures yet, as there is no USB port on the ship's computers and actually I have been to lazy busy to upload them to my wee netbook Sam yet. But hopefully in the coming days...and I have weeks ahead of me on this trip yet...I will preview a few snaps for you....and then bore you silly with them in the coming months..lol

The last several days we have been working our way up the coast, starting in Vancouver, where we spent a couple of lovely days with perfect weather and then boarded the ship, the Holland America Statendam, on Sunday. We spent a day in Ketchakan, a day in Juneau and then yesterday we were in Skagway and rented a car and took a drive through the White Pass into the Yukon of Canada...pictures to follow at some point I promise. Lots and lots of snow covered mountains. As they say, spring comes late, especially at those elevations...so beautiful it looks fake.

We will be in Glacial Bay all day today and then head up the coast and on Sunday I will exit the ship at Seward and start the land portion of my trip! Both cameras I brought have already been getting lots of use, so hopefully a few pictures will turn out.

4 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! I took a similar trip with work back before I quit and all of those towns were wonderful (but beware the Tanzanite pushers!). I can't wait to see your pictures...wee Caite is on an adventure! My favorite part of the whole thing was taking a helicopter ride and landing on the Mendenhall glacier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the stores at the docks are funny...gold and tanzanite galore!!
    by the third port I was thinking I should get me some..nt sure why, but I should..
    If those guys have stores in the Yukon, I will give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're having the time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first hubby and I took an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon and loved it. I would go back in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!