Saturday, April 14, 2012

Weeking Cooking...Dining Destinations...IKEA!

Some of you will understand this.
Some of you will not.
But I love a trip to Ikea!

 
It is not that I buy huge amounts of their furniture. Yes, I have some of their bookcases, a chest in my guest room, a couple of lamps. And I love many of their accessories, their kitchen stuff. I bought a colander years ago for like $2 that I just love and use all the time.
But more than that, I enjoy the look of the store, I love wandering around looking at their tidy, staged living areas, so clever.
But all that wandering makes one hungry. No fear, Ikea has you covered.
Yes, I love Ikea's food.

 

 
Will it me the smoked salmon...?

Or maybe the meatballs?

 

Once you have walked the second floor, looking at all the furniture, all the rooms, those kind Ikea folks place the restaurant, so you can sit and think about any possible purchase and have a bite to eat at a reasonable price. OK, I will admit I liked it better before they listed all the calories on the menu signs. Which is why I went with the smoked salmon instead of my favorite meatballs. Still very good.

But wait, there is more Ikea food to come!
The Ikea Food Market!

 

 
Yes, after the registers, just before you leave, you will see it, stacks and shelves and freezers full of interesting, oddly named Ikea food.
Being Swedes, there is a fair amount of fish items. Herring in different sauces. Fish paste, crab paste...hmmm...no, no thanks.

 
 
But the Elderberry and Ligonberry drink concentrates look good, the muesli, the bread and pancake mixes, sauces and syrups I have purchased. There are various Swedish cookies and candies, and some very tasty and attractive frozen desserts.

 
And of course, they have my favorite, bags of those meatballs, all frozen and ready to go home with you. Grab a package of the sauce to go with them, a jar of the ligonberry sauce so you can recreate that delightful Ikea experience right in your very own home.

 

 
And what better place in the world..or at least in the USA...to stock up on those cute little Swedish fish? Oh, you better get another bag. Or two.

But there is one more stop! Don't go out the door quite yet!
There is the Cafe.
A hot dog (2 dogs, soda and chips, $2) for the kids? Need a cup of coffee...and a delicious smelling cinnamon bun ($1) to go with it. Or perhaps, if the day is warm, a nice frozen yogurt cone (yes, $1).
Oh, our visit to Ikea has come to an end. How sad. But there will be another visit on another day, do not fear.

 
As they say in Swedish, Hej Da...Goodbye.

 



This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


28 comments:

  1. Fabulous post! I haven't been to an IKEA store in more than 10 or 15 years. I think even in Australia they have food now. I'm not sure if it's quite such a range, but at least I'm curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to IKEA in years either because we don't have one here. I have to go to Philadelphia for a fix. I adore herring in all forms ... so I'd be saying yes, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philly is the closest for me, but my favorite is the one in Elizabeth Nj and when I am in north Jersey I try to make a stop there. It is right across from Newark airport and from the restaurant you can watch the planes...vvvvvroom .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like the US stores are a lot like the ones here. I just love going to Ikea for eating, and the kids love the Hot Dogs. The cake, the jam, the Swedish cookies, the cheapo breakfast, nothing beats IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to IKEA, but really should try it. Closest one is in New Haven, CT, I think. My kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My in-laws were telling me last weekend how much they liked eating at IKEA, their new favorite shopping destination. How funny that you posted this this weekend. (PS- LOVE the meatballs with lingonberry sauce!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have IKEA bookshelves but really don't like the way they force you to walk through the store - I feel like a rat in a maze. I haven't eaten at an IKEA in the US but did eat at one in France.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I like the little rooms they do too! My daughter and I like to go there and we ALWAYS get the meatballs! We usually get some frozen ones and sauce to take home too! What a good idea for a post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is one of my favorite places..even with the mazes. mazes for meatballs is a fair trade IMHO.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE the IKEA meatballs! Whenever we go there I come home with a big bag of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't have an IKEA near us, but I know many who are big fans of the Swedish meatballs there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post!! I've only been to IKEA once and it was quite an overwhelming experience. We decided to head back when the babe was a little older and we could spend a bit more time browsing (and apparently eating!). Mmmm, Swedish fish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! This made me giggle! My son works at our IKEA (Seattle area) and is hopefully interviewing for a management position in the Denver store soon. Through him, I have learned all the shortcuts to get through the store so I can bypass the stuff I don't want to be bothered with. I have never had meatballs, but I have had a hotdog as I walked out the door. My husband is Swedish and Norwegian--so all that herring stuff? He says "yes"!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly meant no offense to herring lovers. ;-)

      Delete
  13. I have only eaten there once and it was a treat. Would do so again, but it's an hour drive and husband has no interest in going there. too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like really good value. We don't have Ikea in NZ though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love wandering through a good IKEA also. I'll take the smoked salmon every time. My kids clamor for the ice cream while we wait to check out. It's a home-owner's Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a fun post...but you know, I've NEVER been to IKEA. We don't have one around here, but if I am ever traveling and see one, I'm going! I didn't realize they had so much food. I thought it was all about the furniture (though I had heard of the meatballs before).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks. I've never been to IKEA, but now at least I can say I've been there virtually!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow, didn't know about the meatballs. Never ate any IKEA food before. Will have to give it a try next time :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. We don't have an IKEA here but when I visit my daughter in Portland we always go there for the cinnamon rolls and the meatballs. And those hotdogs are pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love IKEA, I need to make another trip there, especially their housewares dept! I never go home empty handed. Have to check out the food, too. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow..lovely post..
    new to your space..very interesting space you have..
    excellent presentation..
    happy following you..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..

    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have an Ikea very nearby but I already heard a lot of praise about the food :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I understand you! Once upon a time I used to live about 15 minutes from an IKEA and it was often a weekend excursion. Now I have to wait until I am making a trip into Philly to visit my sister to get an IKEA fix. We usually have a treat after checking out:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. About 75% of our house is furnished with Ikea stuff. It is a miracle that we've stayed married through that much Ikea assemblies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find practice makes perfect.
      the Niece, over her college years, has had a LOT of Ikea furniture, including, it seems, about three bedrooms, all of which she still owns. But that is another story. Let just say, nice Aunt that I am, I have put together a TON of the stuff. I get good at it just about the time I am done.

      Delete
  25. I enjoyed reading your IKEA post! We were just at the Elizabeth, NJ store last Saturday and it was the first time we took our 3 kids ( 6 & 10 year olds)there. We got there late in the day - around 4 PM, and needless to say, we did not have enough time to shop/browse/eat/play. The kids loved the place and they can't wait to go back! They are begging us to get rid of their old furniture in their rooms so they replace it with IKEA furniture. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!