Monday, July 9, 2012

Musing Monday...Two for One!

What is going on? There appears to be two Musing Monday questions this week over at Should Be Reading!
{{update @  9a.m.
 ok, if you look now as opposed to 2 a.m. there is only one, the first here. if the other is next weeks question, what will I do? ok, I will think of something}}
Guess I could pick one..or both!

Question one...

For this week’s musing, I borrowed a question from the “I’m Loving Books” blog. It asks…
Have you ever read a book that, at the time, you didn’t feel a strong connection towards, but as time goes by you find yourself thinking about it a lot?


Is it just me, or when you read a lot of books, do most of them just start to blend into each other after awhile? OK, maybe it is just me. And then too, my memory is not what it once was. But still, when I first read this question, one book jumped into my mind. How if I could just remember it's name...
Thanks goodness for Library Thing. I did a search in my books for the world 'sea' and found it..Safe From the Sea by Peter Geye. I am not sure why that story, those characters, those images have stuck with me, but they have. And regardless of the name, the ocean does not play a role in the book, which considering my fondness for the ocean, might explain it. There is water, yes. A Great Lake..a small lake..but no sea.
Still it is a great book, and scenes from the book still come to mind long after I read it. Maybe I need to break my "no re-reading" rule and pick that one again.

Now, question two...

This week’s musing asks…
Have you ever been to a book signing or met an author? If so, who was it? What did you think?

I have never been to a book signing.
Well, I saw one through a window once. The SIL, the Niece and I were at dinner at a restaurant in PA once and next to the restaurant was a Barnes and Noble that was having a signing for an author of a series the Niece read. So she went in, bought some books and got them signed. Maybe I did go in..now I am now sure why I would not have gone in. But I did not know the books or the author, so it wouldn't count anyhoo.

But I did once meet one of my favorite authors. I will not name her but she is famous, multiple NY Times best seller author famous. She is the friend of a friend and I was the travel-alonger. My friend and the Famous Author met years ago in Hawaii where they both lived, both not famous writers. Now Famous Writer lives on the East Coast, so when my non-famous friend was visiting, we drove to visit. She took us out to lunch, we had dinner at her house, she  loaned us her cabin to stay in. She was very nice. I was almost in a state of apoplexy, babbling mindlessly.

I think I have mentioned this before, but writers are my rock stars, my movie stars. If I had taped posters on my bedroom walls as a teenager, it would not have been Mick Jagger or Harrison Ford, but Rex Stout and Agatha Christie. Which granted, is a strange image but true nevertheless.
Actor just play pretend, saying other peoples words and musicians, well, they just play songs. But writers, writers create new worlds. Out of nothing but their imaginations they create people and places and stories, wonderful stories that give endless enjoyment.
What is not to love, what is not to admire?
They are demi-gods, they are superheros, they deserve parades and laurel wreaths...
OK, you get the idea.
I admire them.
Do you think that make Rex Stout posters??

19 comments:

  1. hahaha! I would have had authors' pictures up as posters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely not just you! I've been reading a lot of books that're the same genre (contemporary romance) and almost all self-pub, and they're starting to bleed together. If I don't review them as I read them, I start to forget who was in what book. I have to go back and refresh my memory!

    http://aturnofpage.blogspot.com/2012/07/musing-mondays-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even notice that there were 2 questions lol. hmm..not even a hint to the Famous author? How could you do that to us lol. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave a hint! she once lived in Hawaii..and now she does not. ;-)
      I may give more hints..

      Delete
  4. I noticed the two questions, and since I've never been to a book signing, I past that one up. I do have books signed by the authors, when they send me books some sign them. Does that count? ; )

    I just read a book recently that turned out to be one I thought about later, and found I rather enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, if it does, I have another couple to add. But they are not as famous as my Famous Author.

      Delete
  5. Not sure about Rex Stout posters, but if you find one of AC - let me know! This is funny because I actually met a NY Times bestseller author on Saturday. Unbelievable that any author woould actually come to the library in Podunk but she did. (probably because she lives near here) I was thrilled to meet her!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have a Famous Author in Podunk? did you get a photo to prove it?

      Delete
    2. She doesn't actually live IN Podunk - she lives an hour north in Cedar Key. I do have 2 photos. I might post one at another time. Not the one with me but just her.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you, when I try to remember books they blend together. Not that I didn't enjoy them, they just blend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont find books melding into one another in my mind .. do often forget titles but never authors or characters ... and I have never been to a book signing tho I did once get a copy of a book (one of the Sandford PREY series) autographed with a personalized inscription because someone I knew had known Sandford (not his real name BTW) for eons ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like I need to pull out Safe from the Sea and read it! Make your own Rex Stout poster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is awesome that you got to do that with the famous author! --->jealous<--- I would totally have author posters, too! I'd much rather meet authors than many actors or musicians (not that I wouldn't want to meet those too). It isn't a author psoter, but I recently found a site that sales litographs that are posters made from the words of an entire book. I really want Peter Pan! www.litographs.com The perfect thing to go in my own personal library :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, that is so cool! I hear Moby Dick calling my name...

      Delete
  10. This explains why everyone's posting 2 answers ...
    I tend to reread my books, actually. Gotta love LibraryThing! I actually have a tendency of falling in love with characters more than the story's plot itself. Is that bad?

    Same! No actual author book signings. I've been to a Paris Hilton book signing(*rolls eyes*). I didn't buy the book, though. LOL

    Check out my MM post? I completely modified the whole meme, though. Err. here's the link (:

    http://characterized.blogspot.com/2012/07/monday-musings-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok … I need to know!! I can't stand posts like this without know. Can I have initials????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! I didn't see that second question! I sure hope it is next week's question because I have a great story to tell. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know I've read too many books without a break when I can find similar themes running through all of them. I get in reading "ruts" (although it happens with good books more than bad), where I read all WWII books. It's like at Christmas when I buy all my kids purple shirts without thinking about it. I just read The Book Thief and Winter Garden. Both excellent books and both with WWII themes. Crazy weird.

    Loved your answer. The oddest things stick with me sometimes. I often fall in love with characters that are in no ways central to the story. But I do wish I could go back and read a lot of the classics. I know I would find so much more to appreciate about them now than I did when teachers forced them upon me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hilarious! I love the idea of having author posters on my wall. I think it would actually be rather inspiring. Note to self: find out where I can buy author posters.

    It's so cool that you got to hang out with a favorite author of yours! I imagine I would completely freak out; I'd be wordless.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!