Monday, July 23, 2012

Musing Monday...A Post Pertaining to Periodicals

Get up!
It's Monday!
Time to start the week, so let's head over to Should Be Reading and check out this weeks question!

This week’s musing asks…
Do you read magazines? If so, which ones? If not, why not?

Do I read magazines you ask.
With all the books I have around here to read, why in the world would I get magazines as well?
That would just be madness, madness I tell ya!
So yes, of course I do!

I hesitate to list them all. I could look at the pile of TBR magazines that is on my kitchen counter next to (one of) the TBR book pile. But that would be too easy. In fact, I am fairly familiar with the pile because I sorted them the other day, by subject. Then I attacked one subject and read all the magazines in that sub-set before moving on to the next. I have a few more to go, but that is what days off are for. Or it that for reading books. Or doing laundry. Or going to the supermarket. Or trimming the hedges...

So back to the question...what magazines do I read?
National Geographic (great photos) is one of my favorites..even if I am a few months behind. Happily, their stories rarely go out of date, do they? And I can also read that one on my iPad, where they add additional material, just so it takes even longer! I also read Nat Geo Traveler. (great photos)..and Conde Naste Traveler. Hmmm...do I still get Travel and Leisure? Not sure about that one, but you still might see a theme. Yes, I like to travel and when I am not doing it, I still like to read about it.

I used to subscribe to a couple of food/cooking magazine, but I let them lapse and now get only America's Test Kitchen Cooks Illustrated, which is without question one of my favorites.
Then there are a couple of computer magazines, Smart Computing..not that it has made my computing any smarter...and PC World, because it is a PC world and I must know if any nice new 'toys' will be 
coming out.

Then there is my dream of living in Maine, which resulted in a subscription to Down East magazine. If I can't live there, at least I can 'visit' for a bit each month, and plan things to see and do on my next visit. I also read Yankee magazine..mainly for the Maine articles. Add Coastal Living to the list too...because I love the coast and would love to live even closer to it, like out the window close. Preferably in Maine.


For something a bit more offbeat, I subscribe to Eastern Fly Fishing, a magazine about fly fishing..mainly in the eastern part of the country. I don't actually fly fish. Actually, I have been fly fishing several times but would hesitate to call myself a fly fisher. Still, I love the magazine. Also perhaps a bit odd is my subscription to the American Rifleman, since I do not own a rifle. Yet. But it comes with my NRA membership, another story.

There are, believe it or not, more.
But I will not go on.
Madness, madness I tell ya!
Still, I am comforted by the knowledge that there used to be even more, but I have let a good number of subscriptions lapse over the years.  People magazine..gone. Newsweek...gone. Gardening magazine gone as well.
So I am doing better.
Right?


19 comments:

  1. Lol - that's quite the magazine collection! I don't subscribe to any (anymore), but my weekly visit to the Barnes & Noble is where I sit and read Runner's World & a few cooking magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when we had a Borders locally, before it went belly up, I did that too, with magazines. yes, another reason hey may have gone belly up.

      Delete
  2. Man I bet the neighbor kids love you. When they want to hit their sales goal, they just come to your front door! I only get Food and Wine and EW, but my plan is that once Food and Wine expires, I'm going to switch to ATK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love ATK..one I will not give up while my attachment to the others waxes and wanes..

      Delete
  3. lol...you madness? lol. I will say, you are definitely well rounded and must be an expert in many areas with the array of magazines you read. Thank you for my Monday Morning chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rifle magazine! You never fail to surprise me, wee Caite! I think you need more days off. Forget the hedges, just read. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love magazines! For a while, I only read maybe 10-20 books a year, because all my time was going into magazines. It would be easy to fall back into that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I gave up magazines years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. odd but true, reading magazines gives me vertigo or some form of car sickness and no I dont read anything while riding in a car ever .. and so I dont read magazines, I occasionally look at pictures/ads but not for long because sooner or later, usually sooner that feeling of 'uh oh' hits .. and I work for a huge media company that owns/publishes many many magazines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get..I can't even look at a map in a moving car.

      Delete
  8. We have National Geographic in common. Why Maine? Here is my post:
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  9. why Maine?? because it is a great place. Cooler summers, snowy winters, rocky coasts, boats, lighthouses...lobster! what more does one need?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What diversity in your magazines. I try try try to make time for the ones we get but I really only manage to read US Weekly (my very guilty pleasure) and Entertainment Weekly before fizzing out on Time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to tempt you--the price of lobster in my neck of the woods (Northern Maine) was $3.99/pound last weekend. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my...I am getting weak...where is my butter?

      Delete
  12. Nice assortment of magazines you get! I've also stopped getting as many.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watch America's Test Kitchen every Saturday. THAT is a magazine I could totally get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get way too many as well...I've started letting some of them lapse bc I feel so guilty if I don't read them :( I get this addiction from my mom and love to rummage through her new piles when I'm at her house :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so organized! LOL I confess, sometimes I don't even look at the magazines, just throw them on top of my pile. I go through phases and subscribe according to my current interests. Right now it's parenting and books. Even then, I don't often make time to read them. I'm so bad. I really need to just buy individual issues when I have the desire to read them.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!