Monday, July 16, 2012

Musing Monday...Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Moe..

Before we head out to start the day, let's check out this week's Musing Monday question from Miz B at Should Be Reading ..

This week’s musing asks…
What are you currently reading? Is it any good? Would you recommend it?

Well, I need a new book to start the new week, because I just finished a book last night. Late last night in fact, because I stayed up too late, on a 'school' night, to finish it and will, no doubt be paid back with some sleepy time at work today. So if I just had to finish it, I must have liked the book, right?
Well, I did, pretty much.

It is called Hell or High Water and is written by Joy Castro.
I won't tell you too much about it because I hope to have a review up tomorrow or Thursday, but generally it is about a newspaper reporter in New Orleans who get an assignment to write about sexual offenders at the same time as several woman have been kidnapped and found dead..and sexually assaulted...in the city.

I will say that while I had an issue or two with the book, it did have a great ending..which is why I was up late. But for my final opinion, I need to muse about it a little bit. Which I know is a mistake. I would be best to write my review the minute I put down a book. I tell myself that I need to give it a little time, to let my opinion settle, but in reality I am just lazy. And, as I have mentioned, a world class procrastinator.
Rarely does my opinion change really, rarely do my insights deepen. I just hate to get started. Even though I know there is a danger that if I do not write it right away, I may never write it.

Let me ask you..do you who write reviews, on a blog or Amazon or Library Thing or Goodreads, review every book you read? And if not, how do you pick what will get the treatment and which will not?

I admit I do not. I review, I think on average, about 2 books a week but I usually read more than that. And I will also admit I have no plan as to what I review. But I do know that the longer I wait, the more I 'muse', the less likely that I will ever put pen to paper about it. So much for clarifying my thoughts!
I try to give any ARCs or review copies my best try. Especially if someone is e-mailing me asking how my review is goming.. ;-)
Unless it is really, really bad book. I hate to write a really bad review and usually do it only when it is a book that there is a lot of buzz about.
Odd? No!
I feel I should throw my negative opinion in the hat, warn you maybe, so you don't go out and buy a book just because everyone seems to be reading it. But I am much more likely to write a review about a book I love. It's like you just have to go out and tell your book loving friends about this great one you just finished.

Or sometimes I use that very scientific method.."Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...!"
What about you?

11 comments:

  1. I have a blog where I post each book I've read. I call them reviews, however, they are just reminders for me as to whether I enjoyed the book or not. It is more or less a private blog, but also open to the public. I am not what I would call a reviewer, I call myself a reader of books, not a reviewer. I call the blog "Book Lust Journal" and that is what it is a journal of the books I read.

    I don't have a book started for this week, so I guess I will have to play your game "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do review every book I read. And I do generally write the review with a day of reading the book. I don't always publish the review right away, but I get it written up while it is still fresh. I don't read more then two books in a week (usually) though, so it is not such a project for me.

    My MM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to mention every book I read. I have a what else I read on the last day of the month. Like you I sometimes put off writing the review and it makes it harder when I do sit down. Here is my musing post:
    MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep track of the books I read on my blog but I don't necessarily review them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do review everything I read. But I have such a hard time getting motivated to write them sometimes. I do find that once I start it, I'm fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I review everything I finish on my blog. Have you picked your next book yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I review everything mainly because the books I'm reading have either been requested for a review or they are part of one of the reading challenges I'm signed up in. Unfortunately, I haven't been reading anything just for fun. I need to change that next year! Famous last words :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I need to review everything I read for some reason … which is why I'm behind something like 30 reviews. I just don't have the time. However, some books just get "mini reviews," when I don't have much to say about them or I just don't think they deserve a full review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Thanks for the visit to my blog!

    I almost always review the books I read. It's another part of my fanatically 'completist' personalty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only review books that I accept for review or ones that I feel like reviewing. There's no way on earth I would feel like reviewing everything I read. The rest of the time is for reading what I feel like and with an endless tbr/wish list and 2 e readers overloaded, as it is, I'll never get around to all of them. Just like to know they are there and I have options.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!