Monday, June 13, 2011

Musing Monday...Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep...

Let's check out this week's question from the desk of MizB at   Should Be Reading ..

This week’s Musing asks…

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?

Well, folks, we have discussed my slightly unusual work schedule before, a schedule that make this question a bit difficult for me to answer. I mean, really, when is Night?

Half the time I am working, it is at night, 6 pm to 6 am. And yes, as I have mentioned, I usually spend some of that time reading. So I could say I stay up every week! But that is not the point of the question, is it? No, when did I read a book that I liked so much that I stayed up reading it past the time I should have been asleep? And my answer would be...I can't think of one. Which it is not to say I have not read some books recently that I really loved. Because I have. It is more that I take my sleeping rather seriously. If you have to get up at 4:30...AM or PM...and work 12 hours, you can not be staying up reading. Especially when you have to get in your car and drive home after that 12 hours. I have been doing this long enough, more than 20 years, to know it is not worth it for me. Really, I could be reading the best book I have ever read and I would probably put it down and shut off the light when I look at that alarm clock.

Now, I will admit, my day off is another story. I have been known to spend most of my entire day off reading, in my PJs no less, even though I know I have a list of things I should be doing. I think when I was recently read Purgatory Chasm, a book I like a good deal. But when that happens it is more about what book I happen to be reading at a certain time in my work schedule that the quality of the book.

For me, it is all about the sleep!


11 comments:

  1. I am *usually* the same way, but also because my eyes tire out. But sometimes, if I'm in bed and not sleeping because I'm just wondering what happens next, I'll give in and get up and read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't necessarily stay up to read a book I can't put down, it is usually because I have insomnia that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading a book that is so captivating we can't put it down...that's the point, isn't it?

    Here's MY MONDAY MUSINGS POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agreeabout sleep being important but I think with me, its an age factor. When I was younger I could read into the wee hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I value my sleep too and everyone knows not to mess with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you about the sleep part. I couldn't come up with any book recently that kept me up all night, although I've read many great books lately. I just need my sleep. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, its all about the sleep! Thanks for dropping by my little piece of blog real estate!f

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh . . readin all day in your pj's gets no better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I completely understand. By the way, I love the lighthouses. I try and restrict my up-all-night to something like Friday or Saturday. And I have had to set an alarm to stop reading. I know I am into a book and will just keep reading, so I'd set me an alarm for say, 9:00pm and when it went off, I'd just have to stop and go to bed. I actually applaud you for staying as aware as you have of the need for appropriate sleep. Continue taking good care of yourself, you will never regret it. Thank you, and have a good Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was in high school there were many times that I stayed up most of the night because I could not stop reading a book. I would go to sleep at 4:30 or 5 in the morning and wake up at 7:30 for school. I was able to live on less sleep then. Even when I was in college at night and working all day I lived on no sleep not because I was reading (I wish) I was studying. Now I need at least six hours of sleep to function. However there are still times when I have a really great book that I can't put done and read most of the night!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah, i rarely stay up late reading- but somehow my definition of late can be adjusted depending on the urgency of hte book!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!