Monday, April 5, 2010

Musing Monday...Give Me a 'B'...Give Me an 'O'...Give Me a B-O-O-K!!

It is Monday once again, so let's check out this week's Monday Musing question, from Just one more page...

"Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about the upcoming readathon.

Are you planning on participating in the upcoming readathon? Why not tell us a little about your plans: reading solo or with a partner/group? How long to do plan to read? Do you have your books chosen? If not reading, do you plan to be a cheerleader? The floor is yours."

Do you remember the reports cards you received when you were in grammar school, especially the very early grades? "Wee Caite uses her time well, completes her assignments, keep her work area neat and tidy (perhaps a little obsessively so, as she has been known to tidy up the work area of her fellow students as well...). Oh yes, I was a good, compliant student.

Except..."Does she play well with others?" No, I did not play well with others. I was, perhaps still am to a slightly less degree, a shy, meek child. Actually, I am, by my very nature, a loner, content to an unusual degree in my own company. So, if someone is organizing something, if everyone is rallying around, all excited about taking part, I will be the one quietly drifting away.
I am not a joiner.

So no, I will not be "joining' the readathon. Yes, you do your reading alone, but still the very word "join" is enough to make me flee, waving my hands and crying in distress. In a quiet way, so as not to attract attention.

But there is another reason beyond my anti-social nature that keeps me from taking part. It is the pressure to compete. I would read 1 or 2 books and buckle under the pressure when I see others reading 3 or 4 or more. Then you will see those posts about how many pages they read and again I would fall short. I would fall asleep and know I have failed. No, I could not take the pressure. I am only in this blogging thing for the positive feedback.

I guess I could be a 'cheerleader' but I think I have misplaced my pom-poms. 

But my best wishes to all of you who are going to take part!


16 comments:

  1. Me too, Caite! Group activities make me want to run away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it takes all types to make the world go round Caite. I like your shy nature! I am a joiner, and also a tad bit of a rebel in that if I read one book the entire time, I don't really care. I'd say that is realistic, since my kids will be reading with me. I'm wondering how productive that is going to be?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still uninformed.Will have to look into it.Truth is, I don't understand it. What makes it different from any other reading week? Here's mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't be joining either. I like to do things with my hubby on the weekends and he comes first in my book. Pun intended!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in as much as I can be. If I was alone for the weekend I would be going for the big 24 hours but with hubby and I this time of year all we have together is our weekends so when he gets in the house Sat evening I will probably have to take a break until he goes to sleep but then.... back at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description of yourself is surprisingly similar to how one might describe me. I'm not opposed to joining in on things as long as there isn't going to be a ton of attention on me. Otherwise, I'm also going to be drifting away as quickly as possible without attracting any more attention than I absolutely have to. Having said all that, I'm actually thinking about joining the readathon. Joining in on and completing something like this might help motivate me to join in on a longer reading challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, I don't do challenges either..see point 2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly how I feel!
    I'd fall asleep once it got past my bedtime. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Caite - I TOTALLY understand! I am almost a hermit, I am so shy and introverted.

    I think I join challenges and read-athons because it allows to feel like a "competitor" when really I am not. I never participated in school sports - intramural or otherwise. This helps fill that void in my life :)

    My first read-athon was very much a competition: I only read x pages when others read x books!! But I soon realized that I had fun -- and who cares if I did not win the "most books read" contest.

    Perhaps you can read along with us in spirit :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Digging my pom-poms out for a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you have to finish the books? Bc if not, I would so win this! I am currently reading about eight books, non of which I have finished. I did however finish two books in the early stages of this eight set of books, but it's been a bit since I finished one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Caite - you are very sweet. I like your honesty - positive feedback is the best!

    I don't do challenges because I don't like rules and pressure. But I do like motivation, which a read-a-thon provides. But I am competitive and would fret over those accomplishing goals I could only dream of. I will be supportively watching from the wings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have three books on hand which I read, and two more on reserve which I have to pick up from the library..I love reading, and feel the pages on my hands..

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, I do think you are suppose to finish the books, or yes, I could so 'win' otherwise.

    and yes, I must agree that I am so sweet..in a compulsive, loner sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suspect that all readers/bloggers have a little bit of anti-social aspects to them.

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. maybe not all, but I suspect many of us lean that way.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!