Saturday, August 25, 2012

Weekend Cooking...Pasta Caprese




Some years I plant a garden..and some years, not so much.
There have been years I planted corn and squash and tomatoes and eggplant and peppers..you get the idea.
And some years my raised beds..I am a fan of the Square Foot Gardening method...have remained empty.
This year, I planted what I consider the bare minimum, Tomatoes and basil, the King and Queen of summer gardens. The tomatoes were late getting in and pretty much I have been just eating them as they come ripe but the basil, for some reason is doing great. Good enough that I have been reading some pesto recipes.
But in the meantime, just when I was considering my Weekend Cooking post this week, I open my newsletter from my friends at America's Test Kitchen and saw a recipe where my basil could shine, Pasta Caprese. Perfect!

It is a simple recipe that depends on top notch ingredients. Ripe, delicious tomatoes, the best mozzarella you can get your hands on, a good quality olive oil, fresh, tart lemon juice.
And one little trick! If you are using supermarket mozzarella, as opposed to the buffalo- or cow’s-milk kind you can buy packaged in water, you need to do something to counteract it turning into a taffy like, chewy consistency when you add it to the hot pasta. So they recommend cutting it up and then putting it in the freezer for 10 minutes before you add it in to the dish. Now, I trust what the ATK folks say, but I can't say  from personal experience that it that works, because I found some nice homemade cheese at my supermarket. So I added mine into the marinade with the tomatoes, as they suggest. And it was delicious, the perfect dish for a warn summer night.
Basil, mozzarella and tomatoes...a marriage made in heaven.
 
Pasta Caprese

Ingredients: 
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2-4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press 
  • 1 small shallot, minced fine (about 2 tablespoons)
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 12 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 pound penne pasta or other short tubular or curly pasta such as fusilli or campanelle
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon sugar 
Instructions:
1. Whisk oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, garlic, shallot, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in large bowl. Add tomatoes and gently toss to combine; set aside for about 20 minutes Do not marinate tomatoes for longer than 45 minutes.

2. While tomatoes are marinating, place mozzarella on plate and freeze until slightly firm, about 10 minutes. Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil in stockpot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta, stir to separate, and cook until al dente. Drain well.

3. Add pasta and mozzarella to tomato mixture and gently toss to combine. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in basil; adjust seasonings with salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice or sugar, if desired, and serve immediately.

I used campanelle, my new favorite pasta shape. I personally think it is perfect for this dish. I had some grape tomatoes from the garden but had to add some local ones from a farm market. I love those little grape tomatoes..And remember, if you can get the kind of cheese packed in water..I think it is more and more available these days...skip the freezing step. The hot pasta will just barely start to soften the cheese and the heat  will bring out the fragrance of the basil...oh my, so nice.
Perfect alone, or with some simple grilled chicken, as in my photo...or use your imagination!

 



This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.



19 comments:

  1. Delicious--this looks like a perfect cool summer meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you'Ve just given me inspiration for a meatless Monday post! Your fish looks very good and perfect for these hot Florida evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMMMMM. And I've been making similar salads but not with the pasta. When I saw that recipe in the newsletter, I knew it would be delicious. Thanks for trying it out. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ate breakfast and yet your photo made my mouth water. Yumm ummm! We're big pasta fans in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! I love that pasta shape, too! Your basil looks so good, I didn't plant any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm bookmarking this one; my husband and son love fresh tomatoes this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh looks so good. I love using Campanelle pasta instead of penne - the shape is just more fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Total yum! Must try this with campanelle! Thanks for sharing. Great mouthwatering photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good. Perfect for when the garden is producing tomatoes and basil!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My diet book has something similar to this. Without the pasta, it makes a satisfying light salad snack. It would be lovely to to try it WITH the pasta too. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pasta is my favorite and this is so bright and inviting. How do you get Basil to grow good? Every time I've planted it in the herb garden it turns brown and curls. I never get any of it. It has to be bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ignored it...worked like a charm this year!

      Delete
  12. Fresh basil from the garden is a delight. Due to vacation timing I didn't get anything planted this year, though next year, I want lots of basil. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fresh basil that you can't eat fast enough? Does not sound like an issue to me ;) I agree that for salad caprese the ingredients need to be of the best quality. Pasta caprese sounds fantastic, I'd never considered adding the caprese elements to pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boy, that pasta looks good. I have a very variable success rate with pasta. Have a good week.

    Ps I have now become a follower of your blog.
    pPS Just to let you know that I run a monthly series called Books You Loved. The current one is the August edition and a new edition will go up about the 10th Sept. If you would like to contribute, you would be more than welcome

    ReplyDelete
  15. The perfect summer recipe: simple, and involving fresh tomatoes and basil.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. Dear. Goodness. I recognize how simple this recipe is, but I can't get over how delicious that food looks. I'm drooling, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We've been eating Caprese Salads all summer. There's nothing quite like the marriage of flavors between basil, tomatoes, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar. This recipe sounds divine! I'm adding it to my weekly menu. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!