Monday, July 12, 2010

Musing Monday... Look! A Bright Shiny Object! Awwww....

This week’s musing asks…
Can you read amidst distractions? (TV, others talking, sporting events, etc)

I think the world may be divided into two groups, those who can not deal with 'distractions' and those who can not deal without them. I count myself among the latter group.

I will give you an example. I have mentioned my job before. The job, for an unnamed company, requires someone, myself or one of my three co-workers, to be there 24/7/365. Much of that, outside of normal business hours when there are other people working in the same building, we are alone. Very shortly after 9-11, a very wise Big Boss Man decided it would be a good idea to have a TV in our work area, to see what was going on in the world...and provide some 'company' at night. So it is on all day, turned down low, tuned to a news channel or the Weather Channel. Well, until they all go home.

I don't really even notice it as I go about my work. I will glance at it if something interesting comes on the screen, but it is not a distraction to me. But my immediate boss reacts quite difference. If he needs to come to my work area to 'fix' something, he wants the TV off. He can not work with it on, certainly can't talk to someone on the phone with it in the background.
I asked him once if he was one of those kids that had to have the TV off when he did his homework. He answered "Of course!" and looked at me with horror and disbelief...lol

I am not sure why it is this way. Maybe because I was the first generation that had a TV in just about every home, when the novelty of color TV appeared. Maybe it is just the way my brain is wired. But whatever the reason, I need that 'background noise', be it a TV, or radio or music. I live alone, so otherwise it would be very quiet in my house and I actually find total quiet distracting. So usually, when I am home, doing whatever, the TV is on. It is on now, in the kitchen, as I write this. And it is on when I read.

Now a caveat. What is on the TV can not be something you really want to watch. For me, at home or at work that means things like HGTV or the Food Channel or the Discovery Channel or History Channel. I love the Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, House Hunters or my personal favorite background show...reruns of Law and Order. Oh, how I will miss new Law and Order episodes...{{sob}}. They are there but I feel no need to really pay attention to them. But some shows are different. Tonight we have the season premiere of The Closer, a show I love, and the series premiere of Rizzoli & Isles, based on the Tess Gerritsen books. I will not be reading while I watch those shows. Very excited about those and no reading or anything else will be going on when I watch those two shows tonight. TNT.
9 to 11 pm.
Tonight!



Musing Monday is hosted, as always, by MizB at Should Be Reading. Drop by and check out some other answers.


12 comments:

  1. Yow, I couldn't stand working with a tv on all the time. I like a quiet house and definitely no noise when I'm reading. Must be my brain is getting too old to cope with distractions or my concentration level is slipping a lot.

    Definitely looking forward to TNT tonight!! Did you watch the premiere of Glades last night on A&E? It's a new mystery set in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like you, need some background noise. But have found that I do get distracted if my hubby has on music especially if a song comes on that I like. But from the time I get up until I fall asleep, I have my tv on and it is set on a 24/7 cable news.
    CMash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think it definitely depends on what's on TV for me, too. BTW, I LOVE The Closer and I'm looking forward to the new show, Rizzoli and Isles!

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like watching House Hunters. I often have the TV on while I blog and while reading others blogs. But, I must say, in the end I never know what happened on TV. But, when I am reading a book, I want quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just the opposite - I love the sound of quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no problem working, writing or reading with the TV on. While growing up I spent a lot of time in the hospital where there were 2 - 6 people sharing a room and everybody had their own TV. So there was always a TV on and it was able to be heard by everyone. I learned to tune out or ignore what didn't interest me!

    But if something I really like is on such as HGTV: House Hunters, First Home or Property Virgins, L&O rerunfs, Criminal Mind reruns and a few other things I can't not pay attention! lol I like your TV taste!

    Btw: I saw that you mentioned The Secret of Roan Inish on Sandy's Blog. It's a wonderful movie! and one I forgot to put on my Movie Monday list. There are a few other Irish movies I forgot to put on too. Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, I am always looking for a chance to plug The Secret of Roan Inish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love law & order, too. i read with the tv on sometimes because my husband likes to have it on all the time and if I didn't learn to read with it on, i'd never be able to read, lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need quiet. I'm too easily distracted. LOL

    I'm recording Rizzoli & Isles to watch later in the week. I love Tess Gerritsen's books, although I haven't read this series yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to The Closer and Rizzoli and Isles too! Won't be reading during those shows though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I know why Rizzoli sounded to familiar!!!

    And I'm a non-TV in the background person ... I hate it. But Mr. Jenners is the exact opposite so we compromise. It is never on when the Little One is up and about but then it can be on once he goes to bed. I think it depends on how you were raised.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!