Saturday, October 13, 2012

Weekend Cooking..The Spice of Life!

What is the shelf life of spices?
Well, most likely shorter than most of us keep ours.

I know I have a few in the cabinet that have been there longer than I can remember.
But then my memory is not what it once was.

Regardless, the other day I decides to clean out and organize my spice shelf.
Another very exciting day in CaiteLand!



For Christmas..not this last Christmas but the one before I think..the Sil gave me some of those pull out spice shelf thingies you see on the infomercials. Out everything came, and I was forced to take a look at them. Why do I have two whole jars of whole coriander? That seems excessive. Some others seemed a little aged, so I took to the Internet to get some ideas of who had to go.

Well, who knew it, but McCormick, a big US spice company, actually puts 'best used by' dates on the bottom of their containers. But if they are other than McCormick, how to know? Well, I guess one should date them when you buy them.
Like that will happen. But if you do... 

• Herbs (basil, oregano, parsley): 1 to 3 years
• Seasoning blends: 1 to 2 years
Ground spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric): 2 to 3 years
• Whole spices (cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks): 4 years
• Seeds: 4 years (except for poppy and sesame seeds, which should be discarded after 2 years)
• Extracts: 4 years (except for vanilla, which will last forever)

I must say, I think those time are a bit generous. Not that I don't have ones older than that, but I think the faster you can use them, the better. I try, when I can, to buy whole spices and grind them as I use them. Nutmeg, I grate whole nuts on a micrograter. Grind pepper and coriander as needed, buy whole fennel and cumin seeds. And although it costs more, really, it makes sense to buy small containers except of the spices you use a lot of. And vanilla...since it seems to last forever! Maybe a gallon.

Of course, spices don't really go bad, they just lose their flavor. You can still use them but they will just not be as flavorful. So I sniff them. If you are not met with a nice spicy smell, time to buy a new one maybe.
Remember, the enemies of fresh spice flavor are heat, light, air, and moisture. So keep in airtight jars or cans, in a dark place and away from the heat of the stove.


By the way, I love my shelf thingies...so nice and neat.


This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.

25 comments:

  1. I LOVE those organizers! Actually my cabinet doors are specifically designed to hold spices, so that isn't too bad. I'm absolutely sure some of mine are expired, but like you said, if I used them and it still tastes good and smells good...my husband just rails at how many I have. He accuses me (and often he is right) that I buy more without truly checking to see what I have. I tell him when he is in charge of cooking the meals, he can be in charge of the spices. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who am I to speak with my multiple coriander seeds?

      Delete
  2. It is nice to be so organized. I love these spice holders. Have a great weekend, Caite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I organized my spices a few years ago but they're on little stair step things - your little organizers are so much better. I think the idea of dating them when you buy them is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a good idea..and I think the result would be surprising. now all I have to do is actually DO IT!

      Delete
  4. I agree - great looking shelf thingies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic information and I too love your organizers. I buy my poppy seeds and sesame seeds in bulk (cheaper) and keep them in the freezer; they stay fresh for a very long time that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those shelf thingees! I need to go through the spices. And the pantry, I'm guilty with the canned goods as well as spices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Sandy, I have a pull-out drawer specifically designed for spices... otherwise I'd run out and get an organizer thingie today. Either way, a spice drawer reorganization project is long overdue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to re-organize my spice shelf too, but it didn't work out well. I saw your organizers and wondered if they worked, so I'm glad to hear from you that you like them. It's back to The Container Store for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm so impressed. Feels so good to have everything beautifully organized like that, doesn't it? Thanks for the info about recommended shelf life. Um, I need to throw some things out . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. you definitely should have fit in a spice girl reference....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love organized spices. Mine are alphabetical in a hanging organizer on the inside of the pantry door. I used to feel like that was excessive organization, but then I realized how quick and easy it is to make a dish like tempeh sausage crumbles (http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/tempeh-sausage-crumbles/) with lots of spices. It's not excessive, it's efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should really find a new place to keep my spices - right now they live over the stove (where a backsplash would normally be), and I just know that it's affecting the flavor and freshness. But I live in an apartment and share the kitchen with three others, so it's not all up to me... *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pull out shelves look like they are great, expecially to a neat freak. I have the other one in your picture, but have outgrown the space now. I am going to look for the pull out shelves. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need those pull out shelves also...I actually do try to date my spices when I buy them, but generally don't realize they need to be thrown away until I'm reaching to use them for a dish I've already started :/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, the dates sound very generous. Love your shelf organizer thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those spice shelves are awesome! When I clean my spices out, the one that I always seem to have multiples of is cinnamon! No idea why, but it seems to multiply in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those spice organizers look great! After reading this, I'm wondering if sesame and poppy seeds go bad if kept for a long time before being opened. Probably! They're the ones we seem to have multiple containers of all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE your sjelf thingies! Wish someone would get me some for Christmas too! :-) And by the way, I actually enjoy organising things like spices. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. McCormick has not always dated their spices, but they have usually stamped a code on the bottle or tin. A few years ago I used their online spice checker to clear out my spice cupboard.

    Online Spice Checker

    Enter the code and it will tell you if the spice has expired. Since McCormick owns many other brands, it might work for those too (Lawry's, Old Bay, Zatarain's, etc.) I like this note at the website: "If it's from Baltimore, it's at least 15 years old."

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is useful :) I never really think about it. But most spices here don't stay for years on the shelf anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your shelf thingies! When hubster was on active duty in the navy, and we moved 19 times in 25 years, I'd mark the spice bottles with a note whenever we moved. Once the jar had lived in three different kitchens, it didn't get moved. I made an exception for the fresh cinnamon stick bouquet I bought at a street market in Singapore....I still have it, still break off sticks and grate up fresh cinnamon. I agree about buying smaller bottles, especially if it's not something I'm going to use a lot of.

    And yes I know about the McCormick's website. I grew up within sniffing distance of the McCormick's smoke stack in Baltimore. We'd stand outside sniffing "what's cooking today?" It was glorious!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!