Monday, October 1, 2012

Musing Monday...Get Those Priorities Straight!

Late are we this week, Miz B at Should Be Reading?
I was about to post a Fake Musing Monday, but I will save that for another day, don't you worry.
So what is the real question this bright and shiny Monday Morning?

This week’s musing asks… What distracts you when you really “should be reading”? 

The answer?
Very, very little. I am very, very good at ignore things. It is one one my strongest abilities. I would say my strengths but it is not really a good thing, is it ignoring things?

I watch very little TV at home, so if I am reading there, it is not usually on, not a distraction. I live alone, well, except for Larry the Giant Kitty, so that is not an issue either. No one is running in, demanding my time. And Larry tends to keep to himself in the daytime, at least after he is fed in the morning. Now at night, it is a different matter. Not with the distractions, but with Larry.

I do not usually read in bed at night. Mostly because I tend to fall asleep very quickly if reading and that can get dangerous to my iPad. Dropping a book is bad, but dropping an iPad could be tragic! But it is also becoming difficult because of the Giant Kitty. He never used to come in my room, never jumped on my bed. Now, he is showing up every night as soon as I lay down, positioning himself right next to my leg and demanding that I rub his belly. He closes his eyes, purrs and purrs, and extends his front legs, reaching one out and opening his toes and then pulling it back and does the other. He seems to have no limit to how long he wants this. OK, I am a soft touch, but after months of him running away when I came close, I don't have the heart to not rub his belly. But one hand on the kitty belly makes reading difficult, so we watch TV...he likes My Cat From Hell.

So what about "Real Life"? Does that distract me? Not often enough maybe.
Like today.
I am off work.
I should go to the supermarket and there is a pile of laundry to do. I need to do some cleaning and I have a couple of errands to run. There are bills to pay and a couple of things to fix. But as I write this, I am considering what book I should read next instead! I finished one yesterday afternoon and have to pick a new one. So all those little tasks will need to wait a bit. At least for a couple of hours.
You have to get your priorities straight!!

21 comments:

  1. At least Giant Kitty just wants your attention before you go to sleep. One of mine likes to wake me in the middle of the night for petting. Loved you answer. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, he does meow and stare at me in the morning too, looking for his brekkie.

      Delete
  2. Great answer as always. I am reading "Dewey's Nine Lives" by Vicki Myron. It is filled with "Cat" stories, I'm enjoying it, and I love your tail/tale about your lovable cat. He is finally choosing you as his girl slave. All cats need a slave to look after them at their every little whim!

    Thanks for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love your answer! Giant Kitty sounds like a great companion. But you're right--I'm a singleton, too, and need to get my priorities aligned to yours! Ignore housework!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be there when you finish the book, don't worry!

      Delete
  4. THANKS for stopping by my blog.

    The conference was so much fun, and the tote with the zipper was unique.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very good at ignoring too! In fact my husband says I go into "book mode". I tune out the him, the kids and the dogs. Otherwise, I would never get any reading done. Sometimes my poor kids are calling me for 5 minutes before I realize it! lol

    Thanks for stopping by:)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was good at ignoring things, but I am not. I am one of those people that has to have silence when I read. No music, no TV, nothing. My other half drives me nuts when I am trying to read and he watches TV. I swear I think he is afraid of silence because he can't do anything without the TV on. So I have a white noise app and I listen to crickets with headphones on to drown out the TV so I can read. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So! you don't actually want silence...you want cricket noise!

      Delete
  7. Ah yeah falling asleep in bed while reading. I got a bookseat to hold my kindle and it does happen it is still standing somewhere in bed when I wake up again. With the Giant Kitty it is always dangerous to leave the valuable things balancing on edges of beds. Having the love of a pet is nice too though and warmer than a book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. two things i miss most about life now that Rose is gone, i miss her sitting on my lap i miss her sleeping between my legs, yes, it was not comfortable but now i miss it .. jack is neither a lap sitter or a cuddlier .. but he has been sleeping on the bed ..

    i read, Toonman watches TV .. i can tune him and it out ... or i can go into the bedroom ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. given some time, perhaps you will need another kitty...

      Delete
  9. I don't have a kitty anymore, but I do recall how they persist in distracting us.

    Here's MY MUSING MONDAYS POST

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I'm so glad Larry is warming up to you! You need a Book Buddy - you can hold your book with one hand with one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...I may have to look into that.
      if my family READ MY BLOG maybe they would get me one for Christmas!!!

      Delete
  11. Cats can work themselves into your lives no matter what you are doing. They demand and get attention. Devious little devils! :) Larry's such a stunner of a cat that he is easily forgiven. Do you watch Modern Family? No, probably not, you just said you don't watch much tv. Anyhoodle, the little kid, Lily, wanted a kitten and she wanted to name it Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I don't allow my cat to watch My Cat From Hell because I'm afraid it will give him ideas! He has to watch Too Cute Kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! It's good that you don't have many distractions. And that you're good at ignoring :P
    But school is something I just can't ignore :(
    BTW thanks for visiting! :)
    ~Hira

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could be more like you. I'm SO easily distracted in day-to-day activities. But, not usually when I'm reading a good book. It's one of the few things that will focus me. Great MM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear Larry is a little lovebug now after being so standoffish. Still, he better not get in the way of too much reading. And I let books distract me from housework all the time. It vexes Mr. Jenners.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!