Saturday, April 9, 2011

Weekend Cooking..When in Doubt, Make Scones!

What  did Robert Burns say...""The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Go oft awry."
When I was considering my Weekend Cooking post for this weekend I had a couple of grand ideas in mind. One involved kikis..the fruit, not the people...the other used dried shitake mushrooms.
But don't get your hopes up, because I didn't make either one.
I had set yesterday aside to do some food shopping and some cooking, but I seemed to have gotten some sort of stomach upsetness..or a touch of food poisoning...so no cooking was on the menu.

So what to post?
Well, as I was making my tea this morning, I though a nice warm scone would be just the thing, easy on the tummy, so I decide to make a batch and share my basic scone recipe with you.

Ok, it is actually my mother's recipe. Easy, quick, light and tender.
My mother used to say that the quicker you made them and the less you handled them, the better they would be. The old saying goes "you should be able to see your neighbor heading across the field, coming to visit, and you should be able to have a plate of scones, warm from the oven, on the table, before they get to your door.

I always though it would depend on the size of the field.

In the spirit of experimentation, I though I would make them in my new food processor...just because.
How did that turn out? Well, it was very easy. Add all the dry ingredients and pulse. Add the cut up, very cold butter and pulse. Add the liquids and run a few seconds until it comes together. Dump out, pat into shape, cut, bake.
Of course, figure up the clean up time and realized, yes, a bowl and pastry cutter might have been just as good.
So here it is. Not fancy. No additions. Just basic yumminess.

Scones

1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar + 2 Tbs. sugar
6 Tbs. butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425º. Grease cookie sheet. With a fork, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut butter unto the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives scissor fashion until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a cup beat eggs, reserving 1 Tbs.
Stir milk into the remaining beaten eggs, and stir into flour mixture just until well mixed.
Turn dough onto well floured surface rolling lightly into a 9” x 6” rectangle, ½ “ thick. Cut into 3” squares, then each square into 2 triangles. Place triangles 1” apart on cookie sheet, brushing with the retained egg and sprinkle with 2 Tbs. sugar.
Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden


15- 20  minutes from start to finish.
Someone drops in? Make scones!
Need a snack? Make scones!
Want to treat yourself? Make scones!
When in doubt...make scones!



This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


23 comments:

  1. I sure hope your tummy is feeling better now!

    This line totally cracked me up: "I always though it would depend on the size of the field."

    But the recipe looks yummy! Wonderful just as they are, but I bet dried or fresh fruit can also be mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That line...I think I might be a bit of a smart-ass. At that point my mother would try to hit me with her spoon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCONES! Yes, great minds do think alike. And it's always time for scones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love scones, but never had a simple, basic recipe... until now. Hope you're feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't use some gadgets because cleaning them up isn't worth the trouble.

    I love scones, but my hubby doesn't, so I rarely make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are feeling better :)

    I have not had much success making scones, mine tend to be of the doorstop variety...will try to heed your mom's advice and work more quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It totally would depend on the size of the field -- I like the way you think!

    These scones look and sound mouthwatering. I've never tried my hand at creating any myself, but you've inspired me! Must add your recipe to my "to be baked" file!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hah! I made scones this morning too. I put dried cherries in mine, and I use a recipe with no eggs but with buttermilk. Love scones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love scones in our house. I just dug out my recipe to see how close it is to yours. Mine is a bit different. One thing I do is add raisins or craisins. YUM! Hope you're feeling a lot better now. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks an easy recipe, have jotted it in my notebook and will aim to make over the next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i want a tea party for my bday party this year. bring scones and finger sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So delicious. I love scones. It is too bad we don't get proper clotted cream over here to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your scones look delicious. I've been thinking about purchasing a new food processor but your point about all the clean up is something I need to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay .. I'm sitting here..
    waiting with teacup in hand...
    where's my scone...??

    Your recipe sounds delicious...
    and I will give this a go later in the
    week......

    ReplyDelete
  15. everyone! run to your mailboxes...the scones will be there any minute!

    Margot, I am a food processor illiterate, and am just starting to find it's uses, so don't go by me..lol

    actually, I am most interested in seeing how it works for things like this, cutting a fat into flour, because I think the key is keeping it cool and working it fast..which the machine does better than I can do it by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore scones and make them several times a year. My favorite is a cranberry orange. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That saying is hilarious ;) and your scones look very, very tasty indeed! Thanks for sharing your mother's recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fair size field and consider that the walker is going over furrows and stopping to ponder the weather and if the soil is moist enough, or warm enough for planting etc. whether is will freeze again that night and keep the maple sap flowing. and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I heart scones. Don't suppose we could cut out all the instruction part and just have you zip over here and make them for me?

    Oh well, it was worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Peaceful, I tend to be a scone purist. My fav is plain.

    Chinoiseries, mom would want to share!

    Heather, that should be more than enough time then!

    well Michele, if you can sneak me on one of your planes...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maple scones are my favorite. Thanks for sharing Caite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm definitely saving this one. I adore scones. Thanks for the recipe and the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That certainly looks yummy. I wonder how it would turn out with whole wheat pastry flour. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!