Saturday, June 23, 2012

Weekend Cooking...Sgroppino.

It has been a bit warm this week.
Actually, it has been almost record breaking hot.
So we are going to take a frosty trip to Venice.
"But it is not frosty in Venice!" I hear you saying.
No, but it is the home of a frosty, tasty, refreshing drink that is perfect for a hot day.
Sgroppino!!

You can have it is an aperitif, to get those taste buds all set for a meal.
Or you could have one as an intermezzo, a palate cleanser between courses.
Or you could have it as an after dinner drink, or even as dessert.
The choice is yours.

 

I tried to find something about the history of the drink, but was unsuccessful. All that seems agree upon is that it is very popular in Venice and the surrounding area.
Actually, it is very difficult to even get two recipes that are the same.
So we will go with this one. But it seems you can free to change things up and still call it a Sgroppino. Some use vodka...some limoncello. Lemon sorbet is most common, but I saw recipes with gelato, with lemon ice cream, with orange or blood orange sherbet. Some add sugar or simple syrup, which I just do not see the need for, even if you use all vodka instead of the sweeter limoncello. Prosecco is the norm for the sparking wine used, but anything with bubbles will work. Mint..or lemon zest or a slice of orange as a garnish will be nice.

The first time I made it, I used some limoncello and some plain vodka. After some thought...because a classic drink like this deserves thought..I changed it to all limoncello. For those not familiar with it, limoncello is an Italian lemon liqueur make by soaking the peels of Sorrento lemons in grain alcohol and then adding simple syrup. It is traditionally served chilled as an after-dinner digestivo, lovely all alone.
And I used the traditional prosecco, a rather dry, not very expensive, low alcohol, sparkling white Italian wine. But for a slightly sweeter touch, Asti Spumante would be very nice too.
So, on to making the drink.
 Sgroppino

For 4-6 servings...

1 pint lemon sorbet
1/2 cup limoncello
1 cup prosecco.

Let the sorbet sit out at room temperature for a few minutes to get a little soft.
Put in a chilled bowl (you could use a blender,but it seems like overkill and may melt the sorbet too much) and then pour in the limoncello and mix with a whisk until blended and slushy. Add the prosecco and mix and immediately served, ideally in champagne flutes. Top with some zest or mint or a slice of lemon.
Enjoy!

I saw recipes that measured the limoncello or vodka in tablespoons. Really, what are they thinking. But I guess that is up to you. And the amount of sparking wine you add will determine how thick the final drink is. If you want to eat it as a dessert, even with a spoon, just add a dash. But these measurement made a nice, pourable beverage.

Cin, Cin!

 




This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


25 comments:

  1. I love this! I always have limoncello in the house and love lemon . . . must make soon. Way fewer calories than the shakes but just as cooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I must say, very tasty. they were a great hit on Father's Day!

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious, Caite. Refreshing for a hot summer day.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to make this one, love anything lemon! Sounds perfect for this heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time hearing about this drink - and I'm definitely trying it! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow that looks delicious!! When I was in college my then boyfriend brought me back a bottle of limoncello but by the time I opened the bottle to drink it wasn't good anymore. So sad! But now I'm wondering how do you say sgroppino? Just like it looks?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, so cool and refreshing. Love lemons! And I love Venice -- IMHO, the most romantic city in the world after Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite summertime drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum, if only we could get the pool boy to bring them to us! but that would require a pool boy.........and a pool

    ReplyDelete
  9. My new favorite summer drink? My new favorite summer drink. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be good and very refreshing,

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummmm.... YUM!!!!! That looks amazingly delicious right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried straight limo cello once and hated it so maybe sorbet would help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic. Would you like to link this in to Food on Friday: Cocktails and Mocktails? The link is in Weekend Cooking

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you linked in - have put the title in for you. Cheers

      Delete
  14. I feel cool and refreshed already!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds so good. It's 10 am here and it's already almost 90. I've been deadheading the butterfly bushes and harvesting greens for supper. I think I'll spend the rest of the day indoors, but I may slate this drink for late this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. TAKE ME WITH YOOOOOOOOU! ha ha ha...oh my gosh, I am getting so jealous reading all these posts about trips to France...Ireland...Venice... Sigh. One day. Until then, I'll just take a Sgroppino.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds utterly perfect on a hot summer day (and boy do we have a lot of those around here!). In fact, it sounds so perfect that I'm going to pin it so that I remember to make it :).

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a fabulous drink for a hot summer's day!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!