Saturday, June 9, 2012

Weekend Cooking..A Review of "Dead and Berried" [49]




If you have a little look around here, you might notice I have a fondness for lighthouses and the sea and places like Maine..that has a lot of lighthouses and ocean. So it is no surprise that a series like this one by Karen McInerney, set on Cranberry Island, just off the coast of Maine's Acadia Nation Park would grab my attention. There is a lighthouse, which sadly is, I believe, a bit of literary license since there is no lighthouse on the island, rocky coast, all manner of little boats, lobsters, a charming B&B..and, OK, a few dead bodies. What is not to like?

A few weeks ago I read the first book in the series, Murder on the Rocks, which was quite entertaining and a fun little cozy. You can..and of course should...read my review and then we will move on to the second book...Dead and Berried.

In this delicious follow-up to Murder on the Rocks, developers have returned to Cranberry Island. This time, they're planning to wipe out a natural cranberry bog, along with the island's namesake berries, to build a luxury subdivision. Natalie Barnes isn't sweet on the idea of commercial interests souring their cozy oasis, but the single innkeeper has other problems on her plate: a withering relationship with her best friend Charlene, the sudden appearance of her ex-fiancé with a tempting proposal, and eerie bumps in the night suggesting the Gray Whale Inn is haunted. Worst of all, there's a killer on the loose, picking off people like ripe fruit.

When Charlene's lover–the handsome chaplain with a stake in the development– is stabbed to death, Natalie promises to find the murderer for her grief stricken friend, who's also the number-one suspect.
All the positives from the first book are back. A great setting, good characters, a nice little murder mystery..and maybe one small issue. As the description says, Natalie's ex-fiance drops in to see her from Texas, and try to convince her to get back with him and move back to Texas with him. But she left him for good reason and honestly, the guy seems like a creep. So the idea that she would take him back is totally unbelievable.

But because all the positives, I will let that little matter go.
Because I also found that these books have a nice little addition, that I missed in the first book, probably because it was an e-book. For this discovery, I must really thank Peggy Ann's Post from a couple of weeks ago which pointed out what is in the very back of each book.
Throughout the story, Natalie shares with us all sorts of delicious things she is baking and the author is nice enough to share some of the recipes with us. So I will share one with you!

Peach Sunrise Coffee Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
1 TBSP baking power
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup milk

1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups peaches, thinly sliced


1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup raspberry preserves

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter with a fork.
In a separate bowl, beat together egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just mixed.
In a bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon and spread in the bottom of a greased 9-inch pan. Arrange peaches on top.
Spoon 1/2 the batter on top of the peaches and smooth. Combine the sour cream and the preserves and pour over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter over the preserves mixtures and smooth
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes when you remove from the oven and then invert on serving plate.

 

Quite quick and easy and very yummy, especially when still warm from the oven.
One thing I would do different. Spreading the batter over both the peaches and the preserve layer is not too easy, without disturbing the first layer. So I would try putting the batter in a zip-lock bag, cutting the corner off and piping the batter out. I think it would be a lot easier and not mess the layers up..not that it effected the taste one little bit.




This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


24 comments:

  1. A murder mystery with that type of location, WITH RECIPES IN THE BACK? This author has our number doesn't she Caite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am drooling over the Peach Sunrise Coffee Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just now reading my first cozy mystery ,so this one sounds good. The recipe sounds more than good. Yumm. I like easy too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Sounds like the IDEAL cozy...the setting...the recipes...the relationships! Adding to the TBRs and recommending to my mom!

    Also, the Peach Sunrise Coffee Cake looks fab! The glaze in the second picture is calling my name. I am here in bed with the laptop and coffee - AND NO COFFEE CAKE! The injustice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! That looks amazing! :-) Hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A two-fer! I loved the first in the series and can't wait to read this one...of course reading the story will have to wait til I make that fabulous cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a real place called Cranberry Island? Love it. What a perfectly cozy post with all my favorite ingredients. Yum on that coffee cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across Dead and Berried just a few weeks after we got back from a wonderful visit to Maine, including a fantastic day at a folk music festival on Cranberry Island that we stumbled across completely by accident. A fun day and a fun read too :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, I must go there next time I am up that way!

      Delete
  9. Oh Caite, I am on my way out to get peaches now! I don't have this book but I just got the third book in the series on the Amazon deal of the day for $1.99. I'll have to do a recipe from it next week. Just got an email from Karen and she is doing 2 more in this series! The fifth one is coming out next year. She has a new series due out anytime 'Mother's Day Out' a stay at home mom turned PI. Thanks for the plug to my blog too! I'm going to go add a link to your post on my post of the first book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the third..but I guess you have dips on the recipe..lol
      I like that the third one expands beyond breakfast and desserts since she is serving all meals to the group staying at the inn.
      and of course, I will be waiting for the next two.

      Even if she did not e-mail me... :-)

      Delete
    2. dibs...not dips.
      guess I am hungry.

      Delete
  10. I never used peaches for baking, But this sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book sounds good, but the coffee cake really caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubby loves peaches! I'm copying this recipe!
    Here's My WC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mystery and food sounds good to me. I love peaches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't usually like cake - but this one looks moist and luscious. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to reach into the computer screen and grab a piece of cake. YUM. You know I love Maine too and so this series is pretty much a no-brainer for me. I wonder if I can get it on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am drooling - and I don’t eat cake! Lovely picture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have just made this cake for my daughter who loves coconut and peaches, so I added 1/4 c of coconut and 2 T extra milk, and it came out perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have just made this cake for my daughter and as she likes peaches and coconut, I added 1/4c of coconut plus 2 T milk, the cake turned out perfectly. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!