Monday, June 4, 2012

Musing Monday...Don't Stop Til You Get Enough



Is it just me, or are these Mondays coming faster and faster?
Well, regardless, it is Monday, so let's check out this week's question from Miz B at Should Be Reading ...

This week’s musing asks…
Do you have a reading goal for the year, such as __ books? Why or why not?

They are some bloggers out there who are so organized.
I was just trying to catch up on some of my bloggist reading today and ran across a few that impressed me with their methodical organization, their well-orderliness. Being as it is the beginning of a new month, many such blogs have recently posted either a list of what they read and reviewed last month, or even more impressive, what they plan to read this month. An actual list, all planned out...imagine that...wow.
And while part of me..the OCD part...admires this, longs to be able to do this, the other part of me, the lazy part, flees in the face of the work involved.
The lazy part wins.

You might notice that I put a number at the end of each of my review titles. It is just for my own amusement. That is as far as my record keeping goes.
I do not list.
I do not plan.
I do not count.
I am not very organized.
So no, I do not have a reading goal.
Or any sort of goal actually. ;-)

I read because I enjoy reading.
And then sometimes, I write reviews of the books I read, either to share a great one or warn you off a less than great one.
Goals and plans and lists makes reading, for me, too much like a job, a chore I need to do and I don't like to see reading that way.
I don't read to keep count of them. Honestly, I am too badly organized to keep track of them usually. And honestly, I read a lot of books that I don't review. So even the numbers on my reviews are rather pointless, since they bare no relationship to what I read. Have I mentioned(today)that I do not really enjoy writing reviews? And that I am lazy? And procrastinate? Sometimes, I just can't decide what I think of it. Sometimes I start enough book and forget about it.
Yes, if I got the book for review, or from Early Reviewer at Library Thing or Amazon Vine, yes, I review it. Otherwise, it is rather hit or miss.

Actually, to be truthful, I am a bit behind on those too.
Nothing that a few months off work wouldn't cure.


20 comments:

  1. I started keeping track of the books I read a year or two ago, the reason...I was beginning to buy books I had already read. Therefore, the reason for my blog where I keep track of the books I have read. I don't think I really should call them book reviews, I just more or less remind myself if I enjoyed the book or not. I always post about a book I've read as soon as I finish reading it, or the review would never get posted.

    As always enjoyed you commentary, and a big thanks for the visit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, well I do keep track of the books I acquire..that is why I first started with Library Thing. After I bought, I believe, three copies of one book.

      Of course the vast majority of the ones I own are unread..hundreds and hundreds..

      Delete
  2. I don't like to keep count of the books I read either, I'll just pick up a book when I like it and stop reading when I don't :) High five! I can't stick to organized lists either, I'll just get very annoyed by seeing the same thing everyday with no flexibility to change :/

    I'm now a proud new follower of your blog, do drop by mine @ bookaworld.wordpress.com too!

    Alicia
    bookaworld.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thank you!
      I don't do well with lists..

      Delete
  3. Erm, same here, I like books in a pile, and I like to be able to close my eyes and just pick any one for the day :)

    Loved your blog. Following you through reader. Please do visit my book blog, and if you like it, pls follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've kept track of all I read for years, way before blogging. Now, thanks to a million review requests, my reading is suddenly not my own anymore. I keep making goals each year but I don't get to them. I have to limit my review acceptances but I'm addicted! LOL

    My Monday Musing is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your method sound a lot like mine. I do put together an end of the month post but it does not always list all the books I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to remember when the end of the month is!

      Delete
  6. I think that it could be my OCD tendencies that make me keep track of my reading. My daughter is turning out to be the same - haven't decided yet if this is a good or bad thing, although I'm happy that she loves to read. Thanks for stopping by my MM post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also a bit OCD with my books. Ever since I started blogging, I created a spreadsheet, for 2 reasons, of every book I receive, when I received it, from who, when I finished it. The reasons being that since I suffer from senior moments and CRS, a deadly combo, I need it to keep track for requested reviews and just out of curiosity as to how many I read within a year. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a compulsive buyer of books .. used to be the pile next to the bed looked as if it were climbing to the ceiling .. now its eBooks .. so many so little time .. I was reading my favorite authors first, then I realized I had a lot of books that I'd never read gathering cyber dust .. so now I've organized into 'by newest' and I am starting on the bottom making my way up to the top ... phew ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least with the ebooks you don't have to look at them...and dust them...and keep them from falling on the cat!

      Delete
  9. I used to have boxes and boxes and boxes of books. Not to mention the books on all my bookshelves. When we moved last summer, I decided that since I use my Nook daily that I'd donate most of my books to a literacy center. Over 800 of them. I still have several hundred books, not to mention over 500 on my Nook and almost 3,000 on a Kindle reader on my laptop. When my husband has to be hospitalized, I grab our overnight bag, Nook and laptop and I'm good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. goals are just a side note but I will always read to read, because i love it. Here's my Musing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to keep a record of what I read because it is cool to look back over it. I used to do the challenges thing too, but now I don't. I agree that sometimes when you are too organised with it reading loses its fun and feels like a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like order and do keep two lists for books, one for tour and one for review. I put the date of the tour on my list, but as for the review list, I keep track of what order to read them in by adding them to the end of my "review shelf" and reading them from left to right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ever since I started tracking how many books I read in a year, I've been a bit obsessive about it. I just like knowing … but I don't do a monthly recap or anything. I just keep a list and update it whenever I'm done a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I really don't need anything else to be obsessive about!

      Delete
  14. I don't have a formal goal, either. I started keeping blog pages a couple of years ago, to organize my books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    Great answer! I procrastinate too. I hate making lists because that aggravates my fear of failure. Listing all that I have read makes me feel inadequate because it shows how little reading I have actually done. I do envy people who could do it all!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!