Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Monday Musing...

Just finished a lovely Easter dinner and I really need a nap now, but first a moment of musing, because I see that the Musing Monday question is up over at Just One More Page. This week, Rebecca asks a very good question I think....

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about blog comments

How do you respond to the comments on your blog? Do you try to email individually or comment on post yourself answering the comments above? What do you think is the best way to res/pond to comments and do you respond to all of them? Do you feel slighted if you don't receive a response back from the blog owner? (question courtesy of Jenn)


A timely question, since I was actually just thinking about it myself. This weekend, I was reading one of those blogs about how you can improve your blog and they were discussing this issue. How important it is to respond to build reader loyalty and such. Of course, there were like 250 comments on that post and I lost interest after about 20.

Which says something right there, doesn't it? Part of the issue is simple numbers. Now, I do not get huge number of comments. Somewhere between blog like the one mentioned above, that get hundreds, and some you see that get no comments. (BTW, I always leave a comment when a happen upon a blog with no comments to their posts. Otherwise it remind me of someone just talking to themselves in the shower or something...Assuming BermudaOnion has not commented there first...lol) Anyhoo, my point (and I know it is hard to find it in here sometimes) is that my comments are of a number that responding is reasonable. I do try to respond, in the comments themselves, if someone make a particular point. I have said it before, but I love my commenters. Agree with what I wrote, disagree with what I wrote, make a good point, make no point at all...I appreciate every comment. I prefer to answer in the comment themselves because I see it as a bit of a conversation that we are all sharing..unless it was something I would just want to address to one person privately. Never had that happen, but if so, I would e-mail them. Like if they called me an idiot or poated something really hostile.

Do I respond to all of them? No, but usually not because I wouldn't like to. Days I am working (you might remember the discussion of my bizarre work schedule) are pretty much blog free days for me. Especially since all blogs are now blocked from our internet at work. So, I can read your comments via my e-mail (until they block that too), but I can't respond. Well, except in my head, but as far as I know, you can't hear that. Right??
And by the time I get home, many, many hours later, I usually don't have time, I forget to, or most importantly, forget the really clever remark I was going to make.
So, I just do my best...

Do I feel slighted if a blog owner does not respond to my comments. Well, no, I didn't until you suggested it. Gosh, now I will be checking....
I know some people try to respond...and some people don't. If they get a great many comments, it is, realistically, impossible. I would rather they spend their time posting something else really interesting for me to read. Sometimes you get a response from another commenter, which I think it great, furthering that whole idea of discussion. Sometime my brilliant remark just dies a slow, unnoticed death...{{sob}}.

Speaking of comments and those people that faithfully comment on your blog, in case you did not click on that link above, let me give a wee plug to an award, an award that I think that really goes to the heart of blogging, an award for us to give to our most faithful commenters, A Blogger's Best Friend Award. "The "A Blogger's Best Friend Award" shall be given to your most loyal blog readers. Thus, the award should be given to a follower of yours who takes the time to comment regularly on many of your posts. In addition his or her blog should be creative, funny and always entertaining. Upon receiving this award, pass it along to two fellow bloggers who fit this criteria." So, go over there and grab it and give it some commenters that remind us we are not just talking to ourselves in the shower.

The fact that my niece's puppy, Bandit, came up with this idea (really, he told me so!) has nothing to do with the plug. (How does a dog type you might ask....?)
Ok, it actually as a lot to do with the plug, but I also think it is a nice idea.


25 comments:

  1. I almost feel guilty if I miss a day or two of "socializing" and making my rounds with my comments. And I keep adding more blogs that I follow, and is now starting to get difficult to get to all of them every day. But I try. I also try to respond to most of the comments people give me, but even though my numbers aren't huge, I have insanely busy days. But I try. And I am not in the least bit offended if people don't respond. I know the ones that do though, and I do try to make another round to see what discussion has ensued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your comments here are always appreciated!
    It does just come down to time, doesn't it. I need a secretary. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post, I feel like I HAVE to leave a comment. I'm not sure how I got this great reputation, but I'll gladly accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was happy to see this question too! I really struggle with this issue ... especially because I have two blogs and it takes ginormous amounts of time. I agree -- coming up with quality blog content should come first and then the rest. My husband keeps telling me this, and I need to remember it.

    And I agree with you about that award -- it has the nicest feel and thought about it. And not just because you gave it to me either!
    : )

    And damn, Bermudaonion beat me here ... I'll have to continue on my rounds and get there before her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And by the way, if you are talking to me in your comment section, I don't know about it because I almost never come back to read comment sections! So if you've been talking to me there, you can save your time in the future -- I wasn't aware you might be doing so! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a really interesting MM post, as it’s about commenting I’m leaving a comment :) I especially liked the bit about the award. Being new to blogging I see awards everywhere &, like the commenting-thing, they seem to make the blogging world so friendly. It was fascinating to see not only the (well-deserved by you) award but also where it originated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I pretty much spend a lot of time feeling guilty about how I can't respond to all comments. I also recently got my blogging time at work cut and just keeping up with posting is almost killing me. Eventually, i"m going to have to set some things aside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has sure become an interesting topic this week :) I've wondered about it myself. Working full time (and not being able to access blogs while I work), I don't have enough time to answer everyone on my blog although I do make an attempt. I like to use my time to visit other people's blogs as well, plus I'm always finding new blogs that I want to follow. It really just comes down to time, doesn't it (or lack of)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy, I am not the only one to notice your prodigious commenting. you just put the rest of us to shame...now is that pressure or what...lol

    jenners, always listen to your husband (he paid me to say so...)

    Amy, you are right....the lack of blog access at work has hurt my time management. guess i can't complain to the boss though, can I?

    Yvonne, yes, it is largely about time. And it is an issue of balance...I try to give some time to responding to comments...and you can see right NOW...some to commenting on others blog, as I would wish others to comment on mins...oh, and yes, some time writing blog posts. OH...and i forgot...some time reading..lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL That was so funny! I agree, Bermudaonion usually beats me everytime AND she always is the first to comment on my blog! She is everywhere!! How does she do that?? And yes, it always comes back to time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tell ya...she has 5 secretaries, working on 15 laptops, in a garage somewhere...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the conversations that can be started in comments, but if can be hard to keep up sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your attitude and sense of humor. This question has generated some great discussion. It is hard to keep up with reading, blogging, commenting on our own and other blogs and regular life outside of blogging,LOL! I am amazed at Bermudaonion who is a wonderful commentor and so supportive of so many blogs. She is wonderwoman of the blogging world! I think it's finding a balance that works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I would rather they spend their time posting something else really interesting for me to read." I like that statement!
    I love my readers, and I'd like to respond to every comment. But, part of being able to write decent content is actually going out in the real world! If we spend all our time at the computer, we won't have much to say.

    That said, I love to get the comments, so I need to find some compromise on responding that still allows me time for living and writing!

    This is a tough question, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. what, leave the computer?? lol

    but yes, it is about balance and compromise..but then, isn't just about everything?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting and humorous answer. I usually subscribe to any post I comment on, if I leave a question or say something I expect an answer to. It is a matter of time, which I'm working on. My post is up here

    It will give you a better idea of what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm horrible about leaving comments. I read a lot of posts in a day, but only comment on a few. I'm trying to improve though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of course Bandit can type-he's brilliant along with utterly adorable!

    Commenting-well it's a mixed bag. I like to show appreciation for them but there's not always the time when you're busy visiting blogs. I feel guilty either way. lol. I think, like a lot have mentioned it's about finding that balance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Terrific response. Like so many others have said it's finding the balance and having the time. This has been such a great musing, and it's been interesting to see such varied responses.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I pondered at this question a lot when I was an inchoate blogger. I wish to be able to reply to all the comments, given that the comments are open-ended. I also want to acknowledge all my readers and not to make them feel they are ignored. The etiquette of dealing with comments also lead to a bigger question of when and how to link a blog. Anyway, I appreciate your taking time to share your thoughts on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LoL...great, thoughtful answer (And, I see you have commented in the comments here, as well!)

    I just loved reading all the responses to this question..seems EVERY blogger is just doin' the best they can with the time allotted; glad to see I'm not alone.

    (Hope you're having a great week, and thanks for stoppin' by my place!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. {{looking up "inchoate" from matt's comment...}}
    lol

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!