Monday, October 31, 2011

Musing Monday...Another Trip Down Memory Lane

Hey! Happy Halloween!! 

Let's head over and check out this week's question from MizB at Should Be Reading...


This week’s musing asks…

Would you say that you read about the same amount now as when you were younger? More? Less? Why?

You know, I though about this one and my surprising answer is..I am not sure. lol

At first I thought "Well, I was certainly a reader then, but I read more now!"
But the more I thought about it, the less sure I became.

I was a reader as a kid.
I have written more than once about traipsing off to out local branch of the Newark Public Library with my mom, when I was too young to have my own card. The key is how excited I was, up on the second floor in the kids section. So in grammar school, I was an enthusiastic reader.

And I know I read a lot while I was in high school.
First of all, we had a fair bit of reading, mostly classics, that was required. But besides that, I was reading a lot on my own. I remember reading Tolkien..and not just Lord of The Rings, but EVERYTHING Tolkien wrote..the complete Sherlock Holmes...all the Nero Wolfe books. Amazingly (not), I was reading a lot of mysteries. It was then it seems that my desire to read everything written by an author I liked first came to fruition.
Between what was required reading during the school year, which was a lot, and our summer reading list, which was pretty long,  and what I was reading on my own, I was reading quite a bit.

And I still am.
You might not always know it by the number of books I review.
Maybe because I have dozens and dozens of unreviewed books this year.
But I would say, on average, I read 2-3 book a weeks. There are people who read more...and certain, especially if you read those surveys..a lot who read a lot less. Or none.

So bottom line, I think I have been a fairly consistent reader during my life.
I don't remember a time when I did not get great pleasure from reading and golly, golly, I hope I never do!!

12 comments:

  1. I love to read now. But when I was younger I only read required reading. In between I was raising children, and they required most of my time. Back then I loved watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read about the same now as then (whenever 'then' was).. some books I sit and cannot put down til they are done .. others I linger over because I am not so caught up in them that life doesnt intrude .. and I cant think of a time, like you, when I didnt love to read.. love to be in another place, another life, another something not here that a book takes me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it feels like we read more now because we review all of them. I didn't really pay much attention to how much I was reading before I blogged. And oh, yes, the memories of the library and also those sheets that they would hand out at school, where you could order the books and get them a few weeks later? The excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read much less when I was a kid - I mostly read the required reading. I read much more now. :)
    Here's my Musing Mondays post

    Happy Halloween!
    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ten years ago, I read more for my classes than I did for pleasure. And when I did read for pleasure, it was usually for short periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always hard to find time to read when life is so busy, makes me miss being a kid again. :)

    Happy Halloween!
    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/10/musing-mondays-and-darkspell-launch.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been a reader but never kept numbers until I started blogging. I feel like I have less time to read these days, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I average around 2-3 books a week too! Thanks for stopping through!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many good books out there, that no matter how much time I spend reading, I wish I had more time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! Yeah! Thanks for stopping by!
    ~Hira

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some weeks I read a book a day, other weeks not as much. Thanks for stopping by my blog and understanding my addition. That is one of the great things about book bloggers, they understand why I have such a big TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only time I didn't like reading was when it was required by a class.. Except when it came to Shakespeare.. I read Macbeth the first day we were issued the book in my Sophomore English class..

    I know what you mean about being excited in the library.. there's something striking about being surrounded by thousands of books...

    Keep up the reading :)

    ~Keely

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!