Monday, May 27, 2013

Musing Monday...I Am in Desperate Need of These Books!


 

 Let's start the week
 by picking a bookist question at Should Be Reading...



Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!

• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!



I think I will go with #3 this week...What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on?
Tell us about it!
Book, as in singular? I think not! No, I have a few.



The first is the latest S.J. Bolton book, Lost. I have reviewed a couple of the book in this series and after reading a small preview of this new one in her last book, I was..am...desperate to get my hand on it.
Like everyone reading the newspapers these days, 10-year-old Barney Roberts knows the killer will strike again soon. The victim will be another boy, just like him.
The body will be drained of blood, and left somewhere on a Thames beach. There will be no clues for London detectives Dana Tulloch and Mark Joesbury to find. There will be no warning about who will be next. There will be no real reason for Barney’s friend and neighbor, Lacey Flint, on leave from her job as a London police detective, to become involved…and no chance that she can stay away.
With the clock ticking, the violence escalating, and young lives at stake, Lacey and Barney both know they can’t afford a single wrong step if they hope to make it through alive.
It will be out June 4th, so the wait is short now. For fan of the series, those who want to see what Lacey is up to, let me tell you the opening of this book is excellent!



Next, is the latest book in Ann Cleeves Shetland Quartet. Now the problem is, this is the 5th Shetland book in the Shetland quartet. Hmmm....but I loves these books so much, I will forgive Ms. Cleeves. Especially when I read on her website that the new book, Dead Water, is the first in a new quartet. Hopefully full of my Inspector Jimmy Perez!
When the body of journalist Jerry Markham is found in a traditional Shetland boat, outside the house of the Fiscal, down at the Marina, young Detective Inspector Willow Reeves is drafted in to head up the investigation.
Since the death of his fiancée, Inspector Jimmy Perez has been out of the loop, but his interest in this new case is stirred and he decides to help the inquiry. Markham – originally a Shetlander but who had made a name for himself in London – had left the islands years before. In his wake, he left a scandal involving a young girl, Evie Watt, who is now engaged to a seaman. He had few friends in Shetland, so why was he back? Willow and Jimmy are led to Sullum Voe, the heart of Shetland’s North Sea oil and gas industry.
It soon emerges from their investigation that Markham was chasing a story in his final days. One that must have been significant enough to warrant his death . . .
But there is a problem. While it was published in the UK in January, I can not find out when it will be publish in the USA. What is going on here? So I did what any desperate fan would do and ordered it from Canada. Big shipping fee, but what can I do? Watching the mailbox...



And then last, I have to get my hand on the soon the be released latest book by Karin Slaughter, one of all time favorite authors. I have read every one of her 14 Grant County/Atlanta/Georgia series and I must, must I tell you, get the next one, Unseen, do out in July.
Will Trent is a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent whose latest case has him posing as Bill Black, a scary ex-con who rides a motorcycle around Macon, Georgia, and trails an air of violence wherever he goes. The cover has worked and he has caught the eye of a wiry little drug dealer who thinks he might be a useful ally. But undercover and cut off from the support of the woman he loves, Sara Linton, Will finds his demons catching up with him.
Although she has no idea where Will has gone, or why, Sara herself has come to Macon because of a cop shooting: Her stepson, Jared, has been gunned down in his own home. Sara holds Lena, Jared’s wife, responsible: Lena, a detective, has been a magnet for trouble all her life, and Jared’s shooting is not the first time someone Sara loved got caught in the crossfire. Furious, Sara finds herself involved in the same case that Will is working without even knowing it, and soon danger is swirling around both of them. In a novel of fierce intensity, shifting allegiances, and shocking twists, two investigations collide with a conspiracy straddling both sides of the law.
Karin Slaughter’s latest is both an electrifying thriller and a piercing study of human nature: what happens when good people face the unseen evils in their lives.
Imagine my delight when I saw it was available on Amazon Vine this month. As I clicked on it, I was sure all the copies would be gone, but no, I got it! And any day it should be here!

I am not good about keeping track of what books by my favorite authors are coming out. I tend just to trip on them, not very effective. But I know many of you are much better at it, have a system, some websites you use. If so, would you share? I need more books to obsess over, don't you know!

14 comments:

  1. i haven't read those books but they seem interesting! i'm especially interested in Lost by SJ Bolton

    my musing monday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is the 4th book in this series and while you could skip 2 and 3 (but don't because they are very good), you really should read the 1st, Now You See Me, to understand where the lead character, Lacey, is coming from.

      Delete
  2. FictFact.com - one of the best sites around. You can list your series and the ones you have read in that series. The site will send you an e mail when the next book is to be released. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, someone mentioned that site as a great one to find the correct order of a series, (which I use LibraryThing for) but it does more? now I REALLY have to check it out.

      Delete
  3. I am so bad at anticipating upcoming novels. I have to stumble upon them in my sleep almost. I am JACKED about the Karin Slaughter. I haven't read them all, but I've read enough to love her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look very exciting...Dead Water really grabbed me. Enjoy!

    I picked that topic today too, with MY MUSING MONDAYS POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lost looks really good!

    http://cynthia2729.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/musing-mondays-may-27/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohhh... Dead Water is something I want to read. Thanks for hopping by my MM post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh, looks like I've got some awesome summer reading suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting! Hope you love them. Here's what I've been reading lately http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/musing-mondays-5/

    ReplyDelete
  9. just finished Wool .. love love loved it .. and also finished Thick as Thieves .. another winner .. lots of time on my flights to/from paris to read .. now i am home and catching up on blog visits

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!