Saturday, May 30, 2009

Even a Dragon Needs a Lighthouse.


From the 1977 Disney movie Pete's Dragon, a song for ya all...just because it has a lighthouse in it! Speaking of the lighthouse, according to Wikipedia "The lighthouse for Pete's Dragon was built on a point above Morro Bay, California, substituting for Maine. It was equipped with such a large beacon that Disney had to get special permission from the Coast Guard to operate it, since operating it during filming would have confused passing ships."
The 52-foot high Passamaquoddy Lighthouse, photographed here while under construction, was built for the movie on Point Buchon. Point Buchon was selected because of it's beautiful views and because it resembled the northeastern United States coast. Fifty men constructed the lighthouse in three weeks and the $6,000 Fresnell-type lens and lamp produced a beacon visible for 18 nautical miles.

5 comments:

  1. That is such an awesome lighthouse! My kids loved Pete's Dragon when they were young. That just brought me back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, is there REALLY a substiture for Maine? Me thinks not! Hope you're enjoying your trip, wee Caite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this movie when I was little. I haven't seen it in so long. It's time to put it on the Netflix queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wee caite is having a great time...writing from the Anchorage AK Hilton at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking recently: when I get the right amount of cash, I'll ask Disney if they could build the lighthouse again but as my dream home. I've loved this movie ever since I was a little kid, and I'm only 20! It would also be a tourist spot for those who are fans of the film and lighthouses in general! I'm praying to God that it can be a reality!

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!