Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tuesday Thinger


A first for me...althought I have lurked for awhile, I decided to jump into the Tuesday Thingers from The Boston Bibliophile today. So here is the question...

Today's Question: Favorite Authors. Who do you have named in your LT account as favorite authors? Why did you choose them? How many people share your choices? Can you share a picture of one of them?

I have four favorites listed on LT. Yes, just four. Willa Cather, Dean Koontz, Flannery O'Connor, J.R.R. Tolkien.
How I picked them....well, think someone said to you "Grab some books from your shelves, what you can hold...may have to last for awhile". These folks have books that I could reread..and reread. "Death Comes for the Archbishop", "My Antonia", Flannery's (we are on a first name basis..in my mind) "The Complete Stories", LoTR, The Hobbit...and any of the huge number of books from Koontz. I would be good for a long time reading and rereading those.

How many share my choices? One person shares all four, two people share three...but they all have huge numbers of favorites! So I don't really think that it counts. While I am at it, what is with that?? How can you list 200 favorite authors??

15 comments:

  1. yeah, listing 200 is going a bit overboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any Willa Cather but I'm thinking I should. You just reminded me that I've missed Tolkien off my list ... tut, tut ... and he's travelled across continents with me! I don't get the 200 authors thing, I couldn't be committed to 200, it's a commitment thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cather is a great writer, some very good stories. The two I mentioned are perhaps my favorites, but all her books are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lenore....now not to pick on anyone...and if tat is the way you want to use the LT favs, ok...but here is one example... http://www.librarything.com/profile/redredshoes of what I mean. who would not have several in common with that user?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some variety in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome aboard!
    I only have a few listed too, as you might have seen on my blog. I like your way of picking them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 200 favorites? That's someone who had nothing to do one afternoon, but I'm not pointing a finger...I might be going down that garden path soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. actually, I looked at the one list again and there are closer to 500 named as favorites. of course, she/he has over 6000 books, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a big fan of Dean Koontz also. I kept up on his books for years but haven't read his last couple books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the recent 'Odd Thomas' books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've considered adding Koontz as a favorite because I love the Odd Thomas books, but I don't like any of his other books. Well, I take that back. I don't know that I've read his other books, but the stories don't really interest me - I don't like scary (ghosties, fine, talking to Elvis, fine, even spooky is ok. Icky and gross and not being able to read after the sun goes down, not so much my cup of tea). So, every time I've thought I should add him because the Odd Thomas books are among my favorites, I don't because I'm not sure if that really qualifies Koontz for fav. status. Or perhaps I'm thinking about it far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't really consider Koontz in the icky/gross school. Now I have read A LOT of his books over the years, way more than I show in my library, and there might be one or two that are icky..but I can't think of one. More suspense/supernatural stuff. A world gone odd stuff.
    And I love the dog he often puts in the stories...a bit more than just dogs. And his books often have a certain moral sense.
    see, now S. King is not my cuppa tea..that to me is horror.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great choices! I only have 6 authors, so don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am just discriminating in my choices

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to TT! You have some good choices...mine are pretty randomly thrown together, I'm trying to update them.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!