Monday, May 9, 2011

Musing Monday...I Love Those Hobbit Doors!

It's Monday, so it is time to head over to Should Be Reading and check out this weeks question...

This week’s musing asks…
Do you ever find scenes from previous books you’ve read popping into your head at random times? If so, does it bother you? If it doesn’t happen to you, why do you think that is?

Wow, I am not the only one this happens too? Who knew?

The answer would be yes. And no, it does not bother me at all. Should it?
It certain happens frequently with a book I am reading currently or a book that I have read recently. But, randomly, it will happen with books that I have read years ago. Out of the blue, a scene from say Lord of the Rings will come into my mind for no apparent reason. Odd. I find it is more often about the setting, how the location was described, more than about what was going on in a scene, that I remember. There I will be, in the Shire, standing in one of those round hobbit house doorways. It's a very visual memory usually..but then I tend to be a visual memory person.

Which always makes me wonder about a bigger question.
Over my lifetime, I have probably read thousand of books. Each one is full of all sorts of locations from all over the world and characters from sinner to saints. And even more, they are full of things happening, the experiences of the characters, the events of the stories. And they are full of ideas.
All these things, a mix of people and places and ideas, things that are not really real, things we did not experience personally, nevertheless get implanted into our brains and assume a certain reality. And what does that mean?

I sometimes wonder how much all these books form who we readers are. How many ideas that we believe, things we think are true about life, come from books we have read. And I don't mean non-fiction, which is understandable. No, I mean fiction. And does that make them any less true, just because they came from a book and a fictional book at that?
Certainly, they can't help but color who we are as a person. It may well be true of other medias as well, TV and movies and video games...but I think books have a unique ability to do that. I could be prejudice, being as I love books, but I think the slower pace of a book, the involvement we have to put into reading a book, as opposed to something like a movie or TV that is more passive, makes the effect stronger, more personal.
But I admit that I am prejudice. Because I am a Reader...and some part of who I am is tiny bits and pieces of all the books I have read.

Which may make one wonder about all those murders and serial killers that have been a part of my life over the years. :-)


11 comments:

  1. That is interesting to think of it like you have traveled to those places in books. Make me feel like world traveler now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/musing-mondays_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thinking there. I believe that's how arts in general are able to "touch" us.

    Have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until today, I had never given this question any thought. It looks like you have given it a lot of thought. I think our environment has a lot to do with how we think and act, therefore, if we are surrounded by books and reading, I'm sure it will affect us and our way of thinking somewhat. Murders, and serial killers? I hope these books will not affect your lifestyle. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes a scene in a book will remind me of another book I've read, but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a dweller. My mind goes back and dwells on things (usually the awkward, uncomfortable ones) I guess just so my mind can be sure that it keeps me humble. There was a particular scene in "Red Hook Road", an audio I listened to that haunted me (and still does) on a week to week basis. And right, all those murder mysteries and true crime! It's a wonder I'm not insane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you say about books colouring the reader is absolutely true.

    And I'm interested to see someone to whom this "scene popping up from nowhere" thing happens - I had pretty much no idea what the question was asking because it doesn't happen to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your comment about how we are the "tiny bits and pieces" of the books we've read! I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. I feel that the books I read reveal alot about my personality. A person could get to know me pretty well by looking at my bookshelf. Is this true for you as well?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of being a part of all the books I have read in my lifetime. What a neat image. Though, like you said, the whole murder thing can be a bit disturbing to think about and factor in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last year, we did a room addition and I tried so hard to find an affordable contractor to do a round fireplace, like Bilbo had in the movie. I held out forever trying to find a way to afford that but, alas, more practical people talked some sense into me.

    I would have pounced on a round door, too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your musings today, especially about the Lord of the Rings. I tend to have feelings pop into my memory, I'll remember how a book made me feel.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!