Saturday, August 10, 2013

Weekend Cooking...The Pimm's Cup



Perhaps we need just one more toast to the future King George!
So today we are going to make a Pimm's Cup, the most English of all summer drinks. Since he is a summer baby, it seems only fitting.
We are going to take a look at the Pimm's Cup.
It is made with Pimm's No.1...
So what is Pimm's?
From their web site..
"London's dandiest city gents loved to partake in oysters and gin. But with its bitter tang, gin was knocked back, not savoured. Enter shellfish-monger James Pimm and his famous central London 'Oyster Bar' in 1823. Patrons soon swallowed oysters with the PIMM'S 'house cup'. Flavoured with liqueurs and fruit extract, this more palatable long drink 'gin-sling' kick-started the great British PIMM'S story."
If you are lounging by the side of the Thames with a picnic, watching the rowers go by, or looking for some refreshment between matches at Wimbledon, you may very well be drinking a Pimm's Cup.

Let us gather our ingredients...

Since it is a gin based drink, you can drink it as is, mixing it with lemonade, lemon-lime soda or ginger ale. But for a little stronger drink, you can add a shot of gin as well.
And then there is the matter of garnishes, a very important aspect it seems. According to an article in the New York Times...
"The proper garnish has long been a point of contention in Pimm’s mythology. In 1949, Jim Moran, a wily New York marketing man prone to stunts, was enlisted to raise the liqueur’s profile. He hired two actresses to stage a fight at a Manhattan nightclub over the correct garnish for a Pimm’s Cup: cucumber or mint. It made the papers.

That dispute continues in earnest today. Cucumber is commonly in the mix, though some bartenders muddle it and others don’t. Mint is often seen. But any ingredient in your average fruit salad may turn up."
So first, the basic...

My favorite version, made with the very gingery zip of Ginger Beer

PIMM'S CUP

Ingredients:
  • 1 shot Pimm's No. 1 
  • Fill with 7-Up 
  • 1 slice Cucumber 
  • Twist of Lemon peel
  • mint
In a highball glass add Pimm's No. 1 and twist of lemon. Fill with 7-up. Garnish with cucumber slice and mint.

Just to let you know, I muddled my mint!

But now that you bought that bottle of Pimm's, are there other drinks you can make with it? Of course!!
Replace the 7 Up with Champagne and you have a Royal Pimm's Cup. Replace it with ginger ale, or even better, spicy ginger beer, and you have a Pimm's Ragoon.
But there are bartenders out there coming up with all sort of other ideas. For fans of tequila, there is the...

EL DIABLO

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 ounces blanco tequila 
  • 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime 
  • 1/2 ounce high quality triple sec 
  • 1/2 ounce Pimm's No. 1 
  • Ginger ale
Combine tequila, lime juice, triple sec, and Pimm’s in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain contents into a Collins glass filled with ice and top with ginger ale.


And for a drink that can extend the Pimm season past the summer, how about a cocktail with whiskey?

PIMM DADDY

"This rye-based Pimm's cocktail was created by Taylor Bense of The Post Office in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. We added a touch more lemon to our taste. Muddled cucumber adds a lovely freshness to the drink."

Ingredients:
  • 2 half-inch slices peeled fresh cucumber 
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup 
  • 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon 
  • 3/4 ounce Pimm's No. 1 
  • 2 ounces Rye  whiskey
  • cucumber ribbon

In a cocktail shaker, muddle cucumber rounds in simple syrup until mixture is an even paste. Add lemon, Pimm's, and rye, and fill shaker with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain into ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with cucumber ribbon if desired. 


Or for something quite tropical...

The Kameleon 

Ingredients: 
  • 1 oz 151 proof rum 
  • 1/2 oz Blue Curacao 
  • 3 oz Pineapple juice 
  •  2 oz Orange juice 
  • 1/3 oz Pimm's No. 1 
Mixing instructions: Firstly, build ingredients in the order given in a collins glass over ice. Layer the Pimms on top. It will look sort of like a traffic light. When served, stir in front of customer and it turns lime green. 


I need to get some Blue Curacao.
Whichever version you try, Pimm's is a tasty liqueur and makes a light, refreshing summer drink!!

My, that goods good!


This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


19 comments:

  1. OMG, I have a post on Pimm's going up tomorrow! Great minds drink alike....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good Pimm's cup! When I lived in the UK, I had a friend who thought peaches or nectarines were the correct addition. Others were die-hard cuke fans. Either way, you're right, it's a great summer drink. I have a bottle in the cabinet and now I'm going to have to try one (or two) of these variations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post- I was looking for a summer drink for a party, the Pimm's Cup may be it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say I have ever had Pimms, even when I lived in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I picture everyone there drinking them all summer..in a Pimms haze...lol

      Delete
  5. We love gin...and rye :-) Gotta try it and will let you know how we like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sacrifices you make for your blog! I've never had a Pimms Cup but now I want to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had a Pimms Cup either, but now I'm bound and determined to try one! Thanks for the recipes - they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious - but do you eat the cucumber afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops...see below.
      Personally, I eat all my garnishes..frit, veg..whatever!

      Delete
  9. OK you know I love my appertifs, but I have NEVER had one of these. You betcha that the next time I see it on a menu, I'll be trying one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had my first Pimms Cup in London this summer -- it was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe. Now I can make them at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly could! The longer in the drink, the better!

      Delete
  11. I'm going to get some Pimm's for next summer - sounds great with ginger ale/beer
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never heard of this drink before. Very cool. Will have to check my local liquor store!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company

    Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs.Irene Query. I live in Philippines and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $150,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of$150,000.00 US. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs.Irene Query, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.


    1. Your Full names:_______
    2. Contact address:_______
    3. Country Of Residence:______
    4. Loan Amount Required:________
    5. Duration:_____
    6. Gender:_____
    7. Occupation:________
    8. Monthly Income:_______
    9. Date Of Birth:________
    10.Telephone Number:__________

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Us: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!