Saturday, April 6, 2013

Weekend Cooking...How to Make Your MIxer Love You.




BEFORE!


I love my mixer.
Minnie.
Minnie Mixer.
A KitchenAid Ultra Power Tilt Head Stand Mixer.
She has been with me for a number of years and has always done me proud.
Ask her to mix a dough, no problem. Knead a bread, right on it. Egg whites, done in a minute, just you see, stiff as can be or gentle peaks, whatever you want.

And it is not just for baking. No indeed. You know, with some of the reports about ground meat these days, you might want to grind you own and know what is in it. No problem, just add the grinding attachment.
BTW, a tip on cleaning the grinder. When you are done, run a slice or two of bread through. Does a nice job. And you can us the bread in the meat to make a panade with a little milk for extra juicy burgers.
But there is also a pasta maker, a veggie slicer, a fruit and veggie strainer, a grain mill..a sausage stuffer!
My dear mixer has stainless bowls and a glass one she looks especially nice in, a flat beater and a whip, a dough hook and a flex edge flat beater that is maybe my favorite.

AFTER!

But, looking at that first picture, you must admit, she is a little dull.
Just plain old white.
She came around before the big push in colored appliances and while she can never be bright red as she wishes, (although a saw instructions from a woman online who painted her's)
 she felt she could be dolled up a bit.
Well, enter decals.
Made just for you helpful kitchen friends.
So many designs.
Just google mixer decals and you will be amazed.


So, we could go with flowers,
or how about a saying?
Or a giant initial.
Cow spots or paisley or sculls and crossbones.
How about cupcakes...or a giant flame?

Well, Minnie wanted something to go with her red band, and something geometric.
She is a Classic afterall.
Not too much, just enough.
$10 and 10 minutes later..and a few days for the decals to arrive in the mail from Lil Punkin Creations on Esty...and she is a beauty!

Don't you agree?


30 comments:

  1. I never thought of decorating my mixer, how creative. mine is white too, I love that mixer. A huge help in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great mixer..but she can always use a makeover. :-)

      Delete
  2. Fun!! I got KitchenAid in the 1980s and I got Cobalt Blue. I have almost all of the accessories, but I never got the glass bowl (I have two metal ones). And yes, it does everything. I love my KA.

    Yours looks so good all dressed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how it turned out...and it was SO easy.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of decorative decals for a KitchenAid - but I LOVE the look! I purchased my mixer in 1988 and it is still running strong, but definitely needs a make over. I shall visit this etsy shop pronto. Thanks so much for showing us the possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that shop has some great ones...and they were very quick about delivery and the cheapest prices I think I saw...but belief me, the are SO many out there, so many choices.

      Delete
  4. Oh I just love this! I dream of having a KitchenAid one day and yours looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. granted, it is a bit of an investment, but it will last foever!

      Delete
  5. Love it! I've been limping by with a Salad Shooter (which doubles as a mixer) since some weirdo, who shall remain nameless!) gave it to me as a Christmas present a decade or so ago... I really need to upgrade my cooking gadgets. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good tools make work a pleasure.
      go for it!

      Delete
  6. I love the decals- what a creative idea! And thanks for the tip about running a slice of bread through after grinding meat. I had never heard of that before. I use my Kitchen-Aid all the time too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Kitchen-Aid is plain white, too ... not even a red stripe to liven things up. LOVE the decals!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I ever have enough bench space and plugs I'll have to get one! Love your fun post and best wishes to your friend the mixer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnie is shy. she spends her days not on the counter but in the pantry..

      Delete
  9. You and Minnie make a great team! Will you be sporting decals next? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mixer looks beautiful! Mine, sadly, stays in the drawer in preference to my arm, which is a lot easier to clean...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for dropping by and visiting my blog.
    I have missed my mixer the last few months as we were snowbirds for the winter. Back home yesterday and looking forward to making cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know they made decals for mixers! I've seen so fancy ones on TV (love Guy Fieri's flame one), but didn't think of retro decorating one. My white Kitchen Aid would look fabulous with a bit of decoration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too can have flames...but they were too much for Minnie.

      Delete
  13. Oh - my dream mixer is a Kitchen-Aid...now that I know I can decorate it, the dream just got bigger - and more colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't use my mixer as much as I should because I don't have any extras for it. I need to check out those decals though but I think the band on mine is silver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry..there are hundreds to choose from.

      Delete
  15. Such fun! I love your ode to your mixer. I also need to get one for myself - I know I'd be more active in the kitchen if I didn't have so many steps to do by hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ode to my mixer...that is what I should have called this post!

      Delete
  16. OK, first I need a big kitchen, then I need a big mixer just like this! Love the idea of decals, but it's not something I'll ever get around to doing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a small kitchen..but I still am fond of Minnie.

      Delete
  17. i love my mixer, but don't use her enough.This year i need to get a cookbook for her and try out a bunch of dishes beyond cake batters.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!