Saturday, January 14, 2012

Weekend Cooking...Grand Marnier French Toast

Yes, sadly, Christmas is behind us. The days of excess are over...but if you have it in you for one more great breakfast, maybe on a weekend, I have a recipe for you!


I have written before about our traditional Christmas morning breakfast at the Bro's and Sil's house.
First, there are Pillsbury Orange Rolls, a holdover from my youth.
Then, some years ago we added my Sausage Hash Brown Casserole, which I thought I had share with you. But, if my search of my blog is to be believed, I may not have. But that will have to be for another day, because today we are going over to the sweet side, with the Niece's contribution.
One that I think is a keeper.

Christmas Morning Grande Marnier French Toast

8 large eggs
1 1/3 cup half and half
2/3 cup Grand Marnier
4 tbs. Sugar
2 tbs. Orange zest
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp. Vanilla bean paste (optional)
1 loaf challah bread torn into bite size pieces


Mix all the ingredients and pour over the torn bread in a 9X13 baking dish. 
Mix well and let sit, covered, in the frig overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake for 40 minutes, covered with foil, uncovering to brown last 10 minutes.

Easy, you can make it ahead of time except for the sticking in the oven part and pretty simple.
Serve with some warmed maple, ideally REAL maple syrup.
Delicious.

Ok, wow, I do not even have a photograph of this dish, because when the Niece put it on the table, we descended on it like starving wolves..
No time to find the camera or someone might steal mine!
So the Niece found this photo online and sent it to me to use on this post.
It looked just like this actually.
If this is your photo, someone out there in BlogLand, I apologize for the lack of credit. :-)




This is my contribution this to this week's Weekend Cooking.
"Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend."
Be sure to check out the other entries this week. As always, hosted by Beth Fish Reads.


18 comments:

  1. Save me a place at the table! OMG yum. And I love these types of dishes you can make the night before and whip out on a holiday morning or for house guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it..and I am not even a french toast fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not really into dished with alcohol but this does look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it all cooks out.
    Or so we told ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing!! I love French Toast casserole. The Grand Marnier adds nice flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I would be a starving wolf on this dish as well. I love how the alcohol cooks out and only the flavor is left. I'm going to have to try this one, that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, YUM. Pillsbury orange rolls! I haven't had those in ages! This french toast looks amazing too - a great weekend brunch recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sister-in-law makes this dish and it is a big hit with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great make-ahead dish for a busy morning. I like the addition of the Grand Marnier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love baked french toast and have several recipes for it, but have not seen one with Grand Marnier before. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing...the next fancy breakfast I'll make is on Valentines' Day -- and I'm saving this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love French toast and never had it like this before. I would say anytime is a good time for French Toast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks delicious. Can you make it with ordinary bread?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you are making me hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Grand Marnier..I'll be trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum!! Another recipe I'm adding to my collection!!
    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Margaret, as I am "the niece" referred to in the post I feel I have the authority to say, yes, you could use regular bread. Just make sure to let it sit out overnight to get stale so it doesn't get all mushy when you pour the egg mixture over it. Some people like to use stale French bread rather than Challah.

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!