Monday, June 29, 2009

Let Me Count the Ways, or NOT...That I Muse on Monday


Time for my Musing Monday...this time actually on Monday because of that job thing again last night. So let's see what this weeks question is from Just One More Page...

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about mid-year reading…

Now that we’ve come to the middle of the year, what do you think of your 2009 reading so far? Read anything interesting that you’d like to share? Any outstanding favourites?


Yes, we have reached the middle of the year, and many see fit to take stock on what they have read so far. How many books read, how many pages, how many reviews, how many rated 5 stars or 1 stars. They have calculated how they are doing on the many challenges they are taking part in, what books they plan to read in the next quarter....all sorts of facts and figures. I'm not going to mention any names {{{cough...Jenners cough, cough}}} and while I admit there is some very appealing and even admirable in all those nice neat statistics, I do not partake.

I pay no attention at all to what I read!
I have no reading 'goals' at all. No a one.
So there! ;-)

Why you may ask? Don't I go on about how I love all the nice neat statistics that I can find listing my books on Library Thing? Why yes, my dear readers, I do. But that is different...because!
See, I don't want to think of my reading as having to meet some goal, whether set by me or some sort of challenge. I don't want to count or measure how many books I read or compare it to anyone else's numbers. Yes, because I know I will most likely fall short of many, being neither a very fast nor very committed reader by some standards. I will name no names again {{{cough...Nise, with her 144 books read cough, cough}}}. Part of me would hate to count them and then be sure of my more feeble efforts...lol

But most of all I don't examine what I read because I want my reading to be nothing but fun and amusement. I have noticed, since writing a blog, that there is a danger of my reading and my blogging becoming, in my mind, a sort of job. An obligation, a task. And if I felt that way, I would stop.
So, I will not be counting or examining my last 6 months of books, or the next 6 or the year as a whole, ok? No challenges for me, thank you.
Not that I am defensive or anything...nope...lol

As to my favorites so far...ok, I will go back and look at that. But just for you all...
For most amusing, I very much liked "There's a (Slight) Chance I Might Be Going to Hell: A Novel of Sewer Pipes, Pageant Queens and Big Trouble". Quite funny. For two that I know I will pick up and look at again and again, Hello, Cupcake and Timeless Toys, both beautiful books that will always bring a smile to my face when I pick them up. And finally, for the two books that I totally enjoyed and would recommend to anyone looking for a good book... The Help and The School of Essential Ingredients. Both excellent books that I thoroughly enjoyed.
And that is enough retrospection for me. :-)

Ok, time for another Great Alaska/Yukon Adventure picture. Or two.

..a big, rather scary critter, that got a bit too close...




and some cute, baby ones, first day out of their den...awwww







10 comments:

  1. here, here!

    My reading is purely for entertainment. I don't think I've ever kept track until I started blogging and saw so many people had book blogs. Maybe I'll get 10 or 20 books read during the year--but who's counting. loved your post. (the critters are amazing)

    my Monday musings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, the little babies look like they're kissing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics!

    I read the last two title you mention and they made my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a riot! I began writing down the books I read when too many times I started a book and realized I've read this! Now if I am not sure I check my alphabetized list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I don't keep statistics. I just know how many books I've read so far and have to keep a list. Otherwise I'd keep buying the same book over and over because they keep changing the covers. My post is up and statistic free at www.mytwoblessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. but if I had a list...I would count it!
    to keep from buying the same book again is why I joined Library Thing.

    You are right Kathy, they do look like they are kissing now that you mentioned it. In actuality, they were playing, rolling all over each other...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me too nervous to try to keep up with statistics. I do well to log new editions to my library into my Librarything account. Right now I have no idea how many books I have read since January. I CAN tell you the most memorable ones: Tender Graces by Kathryn Magendie, Blue by Joyce Moyer Hostetter and In The Land of Cotton by Martha Taylor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funnily enough, I find reading and reviewing pushes me to read more than not reading and reviewing. It might have something to do with sharing my thoughts and discussing the books with so many of you guys, as opposed to not having anyone to talk to about a good book once I'm done with it.

    So, yes, I do the whole stats thing, and I'm at 42. :)

    PS: Love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny Ms. Libary Thing Probably Has All The Stats in Her Back Pocket and Knows Exactly What She Read!!

    And thanks for sharing your faves so far ... anything you like, I think I will like too! : )

    ReplyDelete

please speak up, I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU!!